Tusk Enduro Light kit help

53 replies to this topic
  • miweber929

Posted May 19, 2011 - 04:14 AM

The post above yours is about as clear as it gets. Once the engine is running, there will be 12v at the old taillight connection that is unused with the Tusk kit. Tap into that instead of the battery, bypass tge switch and you're ready to go. Made this mod in the spring do I now have 1 less control and 1 less thing to leave on.

Tapping into the red light switch can be done, but this is easier. Search is your friend for that.

Mike

• pschiess

Posted May 19, 2011 - 11:56 AM

The post above yours is about as clear as it gets. Once the engine is running, there will be 12v at the old taillight connection that is unused with the Tusk kit. Tap into that instead of the battery, bypass tge switch and you're ready to go. Made this mod in the spring do I now have 1 less control and 1 less thing to leave on.

Mike

I agree and am ready to do that. I am confused as to why there are three wires (black, blue and yellow) running from the connector to the tailight. What is the purpose of the 3rd wire (the yellow one)? It does not connect back to the bike as on the bike side of the connector it is blocked off.

I assume I would just connect the red wire that would have gone to the battery positive to the blue wire and the black wire that would have gone to the battery negative to the black wire?

Any suggestions as to what Radio Shack parts are need to make the connection?

Posted Image
Posted Image

• miweber929

Posted May 20, 2011 - 04:54 AM

The yellow wire looks like it is brake lite for the non-us street legal bikes. You can either cut and solder, cut and spade connector or use the cheesy wire tap things you use for trailer hitch wiring connections (can't remember their exact name) which is what I did as it leaves the connector intact. I electrical taped the connection for water resistance.

Any of the above will work and is available at RS.

Mike

• pschiess

Posted May 24, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I finally got it all done. All lights work, horn works, turn signals work. Headlight comes on with the engine but everything else works from the stock push button WR450f switch. Pretty easy once I got it all figured out. I am extremely pleased with the Tusk kit. Other than the need to tap into the headlight wire it was plug and play. Very easy to not have the extra on\off switch. Now off to the wonderful CA DMV to see if they will part with a plate.

• Sewcrates

Posted September 16, 2011 - 02:03 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread......

I have a 2004 WR250, tried the above process of tying the tusk battery connectors into the tail light connectors. Luckily, before cutting any wires except the tail light, I connected the battery leads to the tail light wires. Everything worked perfect except the horn!
Horn works fine when the tusk leads connect directly to the battery. Any thoughts? Is there not enough power through the tail light? If that were the case, wouldn't the above posters also have the same issue?
I could add a separate horn directly connected to the battery, but the goal was to remove some hardware from my handlebars since it is getting crowded.
Any ideas?

• pschiess

Posted September 16, 2011 - 02:06 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread......

I have a 2004 WR250, tried the above process of tying the tusk battery connectors into the tail light connectors. Luckily, before cutting any wires except the tail light, I connected the battery leads to the tail light wires. Everything worked perfect except the horn!
Horn works fine when the tusk leads connect directly to the battery. Any thoughts? Is there not enough power through the tail light? If that were the case, wouldn't the above posters also have the same issue?
I could add a separate horn directly connected to the battery, but the goal was to remove some hardware from my handlebars since it is getting crowded.
Any ideas?

I had no problems with the horn connected through the tail light. Maybe a difference because of the model year? I would think it should work.

• spennywhistle

Posted February 09, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Also, I figured out how to make everything run off of one single main power switch. You can either use the stock Yamaha main power switch with the little red LED or you can eliminate that and use the Tusk main power switch, you don't need both.

As described by other posters the horn, taillight, and turn signals will run off the battery DC power and therefore when you turn the main power switch on they will turn on. The headlight will run on a completely different power circuit and will run off the stator AC power. Therefore the headlight will only run when the bike is running.

If you want to keep the stock Yamaha switch with the little red LED:
- Take the Tusk red wire and splice that into the stock Yamaha brown wire. This brown wire can be found by following the stock Yamaha main power switch to the four pin connector junction. The brown wire is coming out of that connector junction and goes into the bike.
- Take the Tusk black wire and splice that into the stock Yamaha black wire. This black wire can be found by following the stock Yamaha kill switch to the two pin connector junction. The black wire is coming out of that connector junction and goes into the bike.

So now the stock Yamaha main power switch will send DC battery power through the Tusk dual sport kit and power the horn, taillight, and turn signals.

Hey,

I would love to lose the Tusk main power switch to free up some handlebar space.

Any way to be a little more specific about exactly where to disconnect the wires and some best practices for splicing the new wires to the old?

Also, the wires coming from the Tusk ON/OFF switch are GREEN and ORANGE and connect to BLACK and YELLOW respectively. Are these the wires that need to be spliced to the Yamaha main ignition switch or should it be some other wires (you mentioned Tusk RED and BLACK wires)? And do you know if it requires disconnecting any wires from the Tusk harness from the battery?

Thanks.

I have a 2008 WR250F

Edited by spennywhistle, February 11, 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pschiess

Posted February 11, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Here are some links to videos:

• spennywhistle

Posted February 11, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Was just going through this old post and thought I would include my wiring for the Tusk system. My 07 still has the stock electrical but I also wanted to delete the Tusk on/off and didn't want to splice into the stock wiring.
First , I removed the on/off switch and connected the two wires(blk & yel) leading to the switch together. Then removed the Tusk power leads from the battery and connected them to the now unused stock tail light connector. You can rig two female spade connectors or get a Yamaha connector to match and use the pig tails from that. Either way you end up with switched 12v DC to the Tusk unit minus the headlight(like normal)

do you by chance remember exactly which wires/colors are the Tusk power leads that you removed from the battery? and do you know which wires/colors are the "unused stock tail light connector?" i'd love to figure this out without having to splice into the stock wiring as well.

thanks.

• spennywhistle

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Was just going through this old post and thought I would include my wiring for the Tusk system. My 07 still has the stock electrical but I also wanted to delete the Tusk on/off and didn't want to splice into the stock wiring.
First , I removed the on/off switch and connected the two wires(blk & yel) leading to the switch together. Then removed the Tusk power leads from the battery and connected them to the now unused stock tail light connector. You can rig two female spade connectors or get a Yamaha connector to match and use the pig tails from that. Either way you end up with switched 12v DC to the Tusk unit minus the headlight(like normal)

this worked perfectly. thanks so much for the know-how.

here she is wired up and ready to ride:

Posted Image

• wayneoXCF

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Im wondering if anyone has experimented using a higher capacity battery in the Tusk kit. Im not talking about how this applies to a newer, battery-equipped WR, but the older bikes such as my 426. Seems like a rechargeable 1000mh battery will not last long enough for me. Thanks for any answers in advance.

• jeffc11

Posted April 29, 2014 - 09:41 AM

I am using the above wiring method to eliminate the ON/OFF switch and found these connectors online  http://www.cycleterm...series-090.html.  Just ordered them to connect the tusk headlight wires to the headlight 3 pin connector and to hook the battery leads to the unused tail light connector with factory type connections.  Also,  just FYI,  the Tusk kit now uses red wires for the ON/OFF switch wires.  The older kits used black and yellow.

• stevets

Posted May 20, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hi all, just used all the tricks in this post to install the Tusk kit on my 2006 wr450. Eliminated the tusk switch and grabbed power at the old taillight connection. I also left off the front blinkers and horn. Works great. ....mostly. My problem is at the tailight. The bike had an led unit that has 3 wires- black, red and yellow. These lined up perfectly with the tusk harness so i connected them. The brake light works but no tailight. When the bike is running I have constant voltage at the red wire and no voltage at yellow regardless of the brake pedal condition.
So the problem is no tailight or plate light. Any thoughts?

• stevets

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Update on previous post- ended up using the Tusk supplied light and everything works exactly like it should. Thanks to all the smart fellows who shared the tricks here!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.