Tusk Enduro Light kit help

53 replies to this topic
  • 2in2out

Posted June 12, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys,

I installed the Tusk Enduro Light kit from Rocky Mtn. MC last week. Today I was hoping to clean up the install a bit and wire the light kit on-off switch to the bike main switch. So I spliced the wires into the Red and Brown for the switch, which per the service manual wiring diagram would be correct.

My results were less than successful. I blew the 10A fuse, and the taillight would not shut off.

I really don't like having that On-Off switch on my bars because it's getting crowded up there. I wanted to simplify it a bit, and remove my stupid factor (I could easily see myself leaving that switch on and killing 3-4 batteries a year).

I thought it'd be simple, but it definitely has me stumped. I fugured that I may need to put in a 15 or 20A fuse to handle the load, but the taillight staying on has me really scratching my head. Anyone got any ideas on how I can make this work?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 13, 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hey guys,

I installed the Tusk Enduro Light kit from Rocky Mtn. MC last week. Today I was hoping to clean up the install a bit and wire the light kit on-off switch to the bike main switch. So I spliced the wires into the Red and Brown for the switch, which per the service manual wiring diagram would be correct.

My results were less than successful. I blew the 10A fuse, and the taillight would not shut off.

I really don't like having that On-Off switch on my bars because it's getting crowded up there. I wanted to simplify it a bit, and remove my stupid factor (I could easily see myself leaving that switch on and killing 3-4 batteries a year).

I thought it'd be simple, but it definitely has me stumped. I fugured that I may need to put in a 15 or 20A fuse to handle the load, but the taillight staying on has me really scratching my head. Anyone got any ideas on how I can make this work?

I hear ya, I think the on/off switch is a little silly and unnecessary and it does make the bars that much more crowded. I'm not sure what you were trying to tap into on the headlight switch, but I think the problem there is that you have to bring in separate power to the headlight switch for the headlight itself, so if you have not modified your stator (or in my case added a Trailtech stator), when you turn on the headlight switch (to also light your tail light), you are effectively bringing ac power off the stator to the headlight and dc power off the battery for the tail light together through the same switch. This is probably what is causing the fuse to blow and I don't think a bigger fuse is going to help you. The fuse will blow even though the bike may be off and not generating ac power to the headlight, because the stock stator does not have a floated ground.

You could mod your stator (see Baja Designs instructions on their site) or run an aftermarket stator which are all dc as far as I know, and this would likely not be a problem. I'm guessing that you are just trying to get your tail light to turn on when you headlight is set to low or high.

The issue with the kit is that it's designed to work with both ac and dc systmes for the headlight, which is why the headlight does not work entirely off the Tusk by itself. They have to keep that circuit separate from the rest as they can't assume that everyone plans to mod their stator to dc. I think the cheapest way to go would be to mod your stator yourself or send it to Baja Designs (approx $30) then get rid of the on/off switch and use the stock WR power switch instead.

• panaman

Posted June 14, 2010 - 05:46 AM

I was in the same boat... trying to figure out where to tap into power under the headlight.... I ended up saying screw it and am just using the power switch that came with my kit...... In hind sight... or maybe even this winter... i may re do it.... and tap power from the tail light wires.... because it will only come on when the bike has the power button pushed to the on position.

• 2in2out

Posted June 14, 2010 - 12:45 PM

I'm not sure what you were trying to tap into on the headlight switch......

I'm attempting to eliminate the on-off switch for the Tusk system, not the headlight. I figured that just tapping into the WR on/off switch would just be replacing existing switches. When I did it, the tail light would not shut off. Even when the fuse blew.

I'm guessing that you are just trying to get your tail light to turn on when you headlight is set to low or high.

I don't mind the tailight on. I just want to eliminate the on-off switch for the light kit.

I'm going to attempt the stator mod, as I ordered a Trailtech Reg/rectifier as I want to upgrade to HID in the future.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 14, 2010 - 02:26 PM

I'm attempting to eliminate the on-off switch for the Tusk system, not the headlight. I figured that just tapping into the WR on/off switch would just be replacing existing switches. When I did it, the tail light would not shut off. Even when the fuse blew.

I don't mind the tailight on. I just want to eliminate the on-off switch for the light kit.

I'm going to attempt the stator mod, as I ordered a Trailtech Reg/rectifier as I want to upgrade to HID in the future.

As the poster above noted, maybe all you need to do then is tap into the tail light wiring from the stock system as that is not used with the Tusk kit anyway. Virtually everything except the horn being led, I would not think it would have much draw on the system. I would think if you tried to tap into the WR on/off switch that it should work, but maybe that switch has more going on than we know. For sure the stock tail light is dc and it only goes on with the stock WR on/off switch so that seems like it would be a reasonable place to tap into. I'd like to do the same.

• 2in2out

Posted June 14, 2010 - 06:37 PM

As the poster above noted, maybe all you need to do then is tap into the tail light wiring from the stock system as that is not used with the Tusk kit anyway. Virtually everything except the horn being led, I would not think it would have much draw on the system. I would think if you tried to tap into the WR on/off switch that it should work, but maybe that switch has more going on than we know. For sure the stock tail light is dc and it only goes on with the stock WR on/off switch so that seems like it would be a reasonable place to tap into. I'd like to do the same.

Tried it, no dice. I even tried the on-off switch on the kill switch circuit. I guess I'm going to have to live with it.

• 2in2out

Posted June 16, 2010 - 09:37 PM

UPDATE!!! I found a solution to my problem. I'll try to write this up as best I can. Sorry, no pics.

My goal was to eliminate the On-Off switch that comes with the Tusk Enduro light kit, by wiring it to the bike master On-Off switch. I had limited sucess with this as described in my previous posts. While exploring the wiring diagram, I started experimenting with m the multi tester any points on the circuit for the master switch.

The point I found that actually worked is located in the multi plug that resides with the fuse and on the starter relay. There are two Brown wires leaving this plug. I took the positive lead (Red) for the light kit from the battery, and spliced it into the brown wires. Next I joined the Yellow and Black wires from the light kit (these attach to the switch I was trying to remove? and joined them together. It worked just as I was attempting to achieve. Turning on the bike master switch turns on the light kit.

NEW PROBLEM - I had ordered a Headlight for a 2007-on and mounted it, but the headlight system for the light kit seems to not want to work. I changed my modifications to the Tusk Enduro light system back to the original way, and still the headlight does not work!!! I disassembled the switch and checked continuity, fuses, and everything else. The taillight, brake light, blinkers, horn all work, but no headlight. ***!!! Everything was going so well.

Wires from the Tusk kit for the headlight are Black (headlight main), White and Blue (Hi/Low).

Any suggestions???

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 17, 2010 - 06:04 AM

NEW PROBLEM - I had ordered a Headlight for a 2007-on and mounted it, but the headlight system for the light kit seems to not want to work. I changed my modifications to the Tusk Enduro light system back to the original way, and still the headlight does not work!!! I disassembled the switch and checked continuity, fuses, and everything else. The taillight, brake light, blinkers, horn all work, but no headlight. ***!!! Everything was going so well.

Wires from the Tusk kit for the headlight are Black (headlight main), White and Blue (Hi/Low).

Any suggestions???

This is part of what I didn't like about the Tusk kit. The switch at the bars for the headlight does not carry power from the kit for the headlight, but it does carry power for the horn and blinkers. If you look at those 3 wires, none of them come from the kit, all come only from the headlight switch itself. I used direct leads off the battery because all my power comes from the battery now (no ac) and wired them directly to the light with only that headlight switch and a fuse inbetween- - -works fine. If you have not swapped to a new stator, you can use your old headlight leads the same way. And this is why the Tusk switch is designed this way, it has to be able to juggle both ac for headlights (if stock) and dc for the rest of the kit. If they designed it only to work on dc powered headlights they could have simplified the kit so that there was power to the switch for the headlight supplied from the kit itself.

• STECKNINE

Posted June 17, 2010 - 04:51 PM

This is part of what I didn't like about the Tusk kit. The switch at the bars for the headlight does not carry power from the kit for the headlight, but it does carry power for the horn and blinkers. If you look at those 3 wires, none of them come from the kit, all come only from the headlight switch itself. I used direct leads off the battery because all my power comes from the battery now (no ac) and wired them directly to the light with only that headlight switch and a fuse inbetween- - -works fine. If you have not swapped to a new stator, you can use your old headlight leads the same way. And this is why the Tusk switch is designed this way, it has to be able to juggle both ac for headlights (if stock) and dc for the rest of the kit. If they designed it only to work on dc powered headlights they could have simplified the kit so that there was power to the switch for the headlight supplied from the kit itself.

So is what you are saying is the white, blue and black wires for hi/low beam are for a different light set up then stock light or can you use those for the stocker. Just not sure with the other three colors on the stocker. Any info would be appreciated..I would like to get my high/low working

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 17, 2010 - 08:14 PM

So is what you are saying is the white, blue and black wires for hi/low beam are for a different light set up then stock light or can you use those for the stocker. Just not sure with the other three colors on the stocker. Any info would be appreciated..I would like to get my high/low working

No, I'm just saying that it seems to be designed so that it will work with either. Like some others, I wired up my Tusk kit to the battery and started trying everything to make sure it worked. Blinkers, tail light, horn.......no problem. I then wired my headlight up to the white, blue and black wires from the headlight and got nothing. So I started checking things with the multimeter and found the switch to be good as far as continuity goes (off gave me no continuity, low and high both showed continuity). When I measured for voltage I got nothing. That's strange, the kit is wired to the battery and everything else works except my headlight. It was not until I took the Tusk headlight switch apart that I discovered that the blue, black, and white wires were all coming from the switch, but there was no connection of those wires further upstream through the switch to any power source, therefore the switch only acts as.........just that, a switch. My thinking was what moron designed a kit that is plug and play for everything but the headlight. They easily could have run power to the headlight switch. Then it occured to me that, even though you specify what bike you have when you order the kit, this kit is really designed to work, as is, with any bike and any stator configuration. If the Tusk kit supplied power to the headlight, that would be great for someone like me that already had modded my stator setup to dc, but it would not work with a stock WR as most of the stator power goes to the ac circuit, which now would not have the headlight hooked up to it. Instead, you would have the entire dualsport kit powered off of dc which is only getting what maybe 40 watts or so from the stock stator. In very short order, you would end up with a dead battery and no lights when you turned on the headlight. Long story short, this kit is designed so that you run a separate lead (from the battery) if you have a modded or aftermarket stator or if you are using the stock stator you will run leads from your stock headlight wiring to your light and the switch. So stock you will have your headlight powered by ac and the rest of the Tusk kit will be powered by dc. Sorry for the long winded version.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STECKNINE

Posted June 18, 2010 - 08:31 AM

No, I'm just saying that it seems to be designed so that it will work with either. Like some others, I wired up my Tusk kit to the battery and started trying everything to make sure it worked. Blinkers, tail light, horn.......no problem. I then wired my headlight up to the white, blue and black wires from the headlight and got nothing. So I started checking things with the multimeter and found the switch to be good as far as continuity goes (off gave me no continuity, low and high both showed continuity). When I measured for voltage I got nothing. That's strange, the kit is wired to the battery and everything else works except my headlight. It was not until I took the Tusk headlight switch apart that I discovered that the blue, black, and white wires were all coming from the switch, but there was no connection of those wires further upstream through the switch to any power source, therefore the switch only acts as.........just that, a switch. My thinking was what moron designed a kit that is plug and play for everything but the headlight. They easily could have run power to the headlight switch. Then it occured to me that, even though you specify what bike you have when you order the kit, this kit is really designed to work, as is, with any bike and any stator configuration. If the Tusk kit supplied power to the headlight, that would be great for someone like me that already had modded my stator setup to dc, but it would not work with a stock WR as most of the stator power goes to the ac circuit, which now would not have the headlight hooked up to it. Instead, you would have the entire dualsport kit powered off of dc which is only getting what maybe 40 watts or so from the stock stator. In very short order, you would end up with a dead battery and no lights when you turned on the headlight. Long story short, this kit is designed so that you run a separate lead (from the battery) if you have a modded or aftermarket stator or if you are using the stock stator you will run leads from your stock headlight wiring to your light and the switch. So stock you will have your headlight powered by ac and the rest of the Tusk kit will be powered by dc. Sorry for the long winded version.

I have no clue about wiring So It sounds like I need a new stator to run this kit is this correct?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 18, 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have no clue about wiring So It sounds like I need a new stator to run this kit is this correct?

Rewound stator is always a good thing, but no you do not. If you have a stock WR stator, just plug in the kit as in the directions and wire up your stock headlight (ac powered) to use the headlight switch. I forget if the stock light has the ability to use high beam or not, but if not you will only need the black and the white wires from the switch. Hell, the stock headlight only works when the engine is on so if you want you can bypass the headlight switch supplied by Tusk altogether if you like and just keep it plugged into the stock plug, unless there is a reason you would want the headlight to be off when running during the day.

• Greenroom

Posted June 23, 2010 - 11:42 AM

I recieved a reply e-mial back from Tusk and they state the stock headlight should work just fine with the supplied wiring. They also forwarded me there video link for installation and thats how they say it should work. Mine does not work with the stock headlight and I have not tested the switch for power. I want the ability to control the light just incase I am stopped. (it's a requirement that you have hi-low and on and off)

• 2in2out

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:12 PM

I recieved a reply e-mial back from Tusk and they state the stock headlight should work just fine with the supplied wiring. They also forwarded me there video link for installation and thats how they say it should work. Mine does not work with the stock headlight and I have not tested the switch for power. I want the ability to control the light just incase I am stopped. (it's a requirement that you have hi-low and on and off)

Here's the solution for the WR with AC stator. The black wire from the Tusk System that goes to the headlight should be connected to (depending on year of bike. I replaced my 06 light with 07+ light assembly) with the Blue/Yellow wire from the stock headlight connector. This is the power side of the system. The blue and White wires from the Tusk system should be attached to the headlight Hi/Lo connectors(green/yellow for 07+). Then the ground from the headlight just needs to be grounded to frame or, as I did with mine, to the ground in the stock headlight connector.

Questions? PM me. I can send pics and I'll try to post some up when I get a chance.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'd be real interested if your setup actually has power to the switch. My switch does not. Take off the two screws holding your switch together and take a look at the white, black, and blue headlight wires. You will find that they only control the power brought in from the bike to your headlight and do not not connect to any other power source from the Tusk kit. The key is in the instructions where it says that it is designed to work with your existing headlight, meaning you are powering that light through your own means, whether directly off the battery (dc) or by using the stock headlight plug (ac).

• Greenroom

Posted June 23, 2010 - 03:15 PM

If I have time tonight I'll give it another go. Thanks for the feedback. :lol: :banana: :)

• Bhavesh

Posted July 27, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Long story short, this kit is designed so that you run a separate lead (from the battery) if you have a modded or aftermarket stator or if you are using the stock stator you will run leads from your stock headlight wiring to your light and the switch. So stock you will have your headlight powered by ac and the rest of the Tusk kit will be powered by dc. Sorry for the long winded version.

:smirk:

so if I understand you correctly, then all the tusk kit does, for the headlight, is insert a switch between your factory regulator and the headlight?

so essentially, the head light can only be on, if the bike is running?

if so, then so much for passing MA inspection with a $180 lighting kit :smirk: Over here, the head light needs to stay on with the bike off to pass inspection.

And without trying to hijack the thread, I never bought the kit, so can you tell me if the bike charges the supplied battery? does an oem AC stator provide any power to charge the DC battery supplied witht the kit? if so, does the kit include some sort of rectifier?

sorry about the old thread bump

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 27, 2010 - 09:36 PM

:smirk:

so if I understand you correctly, then all the tusk kit does, for the headlight, is insert a switch between your factory regulator and the headlight?
so essentially, the head light can only be on, if the bike is running?

if so, then so much for passing MA inspection with a $180 lighting kit :smirk: Over here, the head light needs to stay on with the bike off to pass inspection.

And without trying to hijack the thread, I never bought the kit, so can you tell me if the bike charges the supplied battery? does an oem AC stator provide any power to charge the DC battery supplied witht the kit? if so, does the kit include some sort of rectifier?

sorry about the old thread bump

Yes, that is what the Tusk kit essentially does concerning the headlight. You have a couple of options to work with here though:

1. Do the Baja Designs stator mod so that all your power is dc. This is cheap and many people do it themselves. That way your stock light will run with the engine off.

2. Buy a Baja Designs standard enduro headlight. This light has, along with the h4 main bulb, a small 5 watt bulb that you can wire separately as a daytime running light. This should be sufficient if you wanted to run your main light off the stock unmodified stator as ac and then this small 5 watt light directly off the battery to be legal for registration purposes.

3. Run two circuits to your stock headlight, one off the battery only to be legal when the engine is off and then the stock ac setup. You'd have to run switches to each.

The quickest, cleanest way is to do #1 and be done with it. However, the stock light is not dot legal that I'm aware of, but that might not be an issue for you, not sure. If you ever have any thoughts of running hid lighting at any point, you may want to also get the BD enduro headlight as well. It's got a glass lens and very good optics. As halogen it still puts out much better light than the stock WR reflector, but can cheaply be converted to hid as well.

Lastly, the Tusk kit does not come with a battery, but you can add one to it. You don't need it though if you already have e-start. It's just for kickstart bikes like an XR650R. For those bikes you have to add a reg/rectifier as well.

• ut o

Posted August 14, 2010 - 09:26 PM

:bonk:I just finished the install of the tusk system on my 01 wr 426. Works great all but the headlight. I am scratchin my head. After reading this I think I got it, here goes. Splice the two headlight wires from the bike to the black wire on the tusk switch and the high beam connector on the headlight. Then Tusk blue wire to the low beam and white to ground? Ah i am confusing myself....is this right? I understand everything except how to get the power to the tusk switch.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted August 16, 2010 - 05:03 PM

:bonk:I just finished the install of the tusk system on my 01 wr 426. Works great all but the headlight. I am scratchin my head. After reading this I think I got it, here goes. Splice the two headlight wires from the bike to the black wire on the tusk switch and the high beam connector on the headlight. Then Tusk blue wire to the low beam and white to ground? Ah i am confusing myself....is this right? I understand everything except how to get the power to the tusk switch.

Hey ut o, 2in2out describes how to solve the problem. I was a bit confused by it when I first read it but I just finished wiring up my dual sport kit. So here are the steps reworded a bit that will hopefully make it more easy to understand:
- Take the stock blue/yellow wire coming from the motorcycle that would have connected into the headlight and connect that to the Tusk headlight switch black wire
- Take the Tusk headlight switch blue and white wires and connect to the headlight. Blue for low beam and white for high beam
- Take the black wire that used to go from the motorcycle to the headlight and connect back to the headlight

So basically the blue/yellow wire from the motorcycle will send the electricity into the Tusk headlight switch through the Tusk black wire. Then out of the headlight switch from either the blue wire when set on low beam and white wire when set on high beam. The blue wire or the white wire will then power the light bulb. The electricity will then flow out of the bulb and back into the motorcycle through the motorcycle black wire.

PM me if you need further guidance.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.