Looking for more "snap"

37 replies to this topic
  • 09kx250fNC

Posted June 12, 2010 - 04:18 AM

Thumpers, I have a nine year old who is really getting into riding his klx 110. He's practicing his jumps, turns, etc.

As you all know, these bikes are sluuuuuuugish at the twist of the throttle. I'm looking for advice on how to give him a little throttle "snap". This should help him out on accelerating out a turn, jumps, hill climbs, and so on.

Right now it is a bone stock 09. What to do first?

Thanks

• 2005_xr250l_thumper

Posted June 12, 2010 - 04:56 AM

buy an 85? or uncork it, take off the smogging gear, open up the air box. make sure ur running high octane clean fuel. go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket?

• 09kx250fNC

Posted June 12, 2010 - 12:17 PM

An 85 is probably too much bike for him. He's only been riding for about two months. What size jets should I begin with?

• asg5265

Posted June 12, 2010 - 06:40 PM

if you want more power, either buy one of those really nice big carb deals or take the air box off and put on a shorty air filter. they are cheap and go on really easily. I think twobros has a really nice setup
heres some options U can find most of this stuff on ebay cheaper
http://www.twobros.c...mpleKLX110.html

• Wandell

Posted June 12, 2010 - 07:11 PM

I agree. I'd start by opening up the stock airbox, drilling out the exhaust pipe and rejetting.

• asg5265

Posted June 12, 2010 - 07:14 PM

removing the air box and adding a good muffler probably offer you more for your money bang for your buck type of power.

• NacsMXer

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:52 PM

Thumpers, I have a nine year old who is really getting into riding his klx 110. He's practicing his jumps, turns, etc.

As you all know, these bikes are sluuuuuuugish at the twist of the throttle. I'm looking for advice on how to give him a little throttle "snap". This should help him out on accelerating out a turn, jumps, hill climbs, and so on.

Right now it is a bone stock 09. What to do first?

Thanks

I just uncorked my completely stock 2005 KLX110 with fantastic results for very little money. Throttle response is way better, bike has more power, starts easier, doesn't bog out anymore etc. All for very little money.

First I unbolted the airbox and removed the snorkel from the air inlet. It's a small rubber 90 degree piece and it pulls right out. Next I replaced the stock air filter with a Twin Air foam filter ($10). Then I took the carb off for the first time and replaced the stock 38 pilot and 80 main with a 40 pilot and 85 main jets. I then went to Radioshack and bought their "steel flat washers" kit (part # 64-3022A) for $2. You need the second smallest #4 washer in the kit. Take the stock needle out of the slide and place the #4 washer under it. Reinstall the carb and set the air screw to 1.75 turns out. Reset the idle if you have to, I didn't.

You now have uncorked your bike and have a ton more power/snap that you were looking for. All for less than $25!

• asg5265

Posted June 13, 2010 - 07:07 PM

u forgot to drill out the muffler...

• NacsMXer

Posted June 13, 2010 - 07:20 PM

u forgot to drill out the muffler...

Yep, but intentionally. And still had huge gains over stock. My bike doesn't see much top end, mostly low end torque riding. Plus i'm pretty sure drilling the washer hurts you on the low end a bit but helps in the top end. I also like the stock exhaust for the stealth factor. Runs clean.

• asg5265

Posted June 14, 2010 - 06:56 AM

This is true but it sounds like his kid is getting into it and probably looking for every bit of power his dad can get hm. By preference, if it were my bike, I would just do a carb, exhaust, shock, and some aluminum rims. there is so much to do to one it would drive you nuts to start with stocker and make a real mini out of it. But hes looking for a training bike, good power, kickstand, small and has gears. by pref I would get him a 140L because its got a clutch, gears, and some decent power. :thumbsup: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 09kx250fNC

Posted June 14, 2010 - 01:06 PM

Since this is his first bike, he has never used a clutch. I like the 110 because it has the ability to add the clutch. He "grew up" on a fully automatic quad. When he outgrew the quad he wanted to go to two wheels (daddy likes). He picked it right up and immediately fell in love his Kawi. He is just begining to unstand the concept of gear selection, when to upshift, when to downshift, etc. I have no doubt this will be his first of many bikes.

Depending on where he is a year from now, we may go 140 or maybe a 65 smoker. In the mean time, I'm trying to ease him into the sport.

I've done the air box mod and have ordered a fist full of jets to play with. Why is 5/8" the magic number for drilling the exaust? I've heard of people drilling the head pipe and others drilling the muffler. Do I need to drill both ends or are they talking about the same thing? Where I come from the head pipe and muffler are on opposite ends. He did say he would like it a little louder.......

• asg5265

Posted June 14, 2010 - 02:23 PM

Let me tell you about the 65s, for a a learner on a clutch not the best thing, but Ive never learned another way so I couldnt really tell you how other bikes are, Im sure 4 strokes like the 140 would be the prime thing to learn on. I could never get rolling because my dad never showed me how to do a simple clutch release. I cant give enough advice right now. I learned how to do a clutch release by watching one of my down the street buddies ride up my driveway. LOL, I did what my dad always said, bring the rpms up and just let the clutch out, boy was i lucky i never snapped my neck. I would basically just pop the clutch. one time I almost looped it! anyway you need to show your kid how to bring up the rpms and let the clutch out slowly at the same time. I watched the kid launch his bike and I examined he let out the lever and after he began to move he just added a little more throttle and slowly just released the clutch entirely. DEMONSTRATE THIS TO YOUR KID! I almost lost interest because i couldnt figure out how to get rolling. trust me after they pop the clutch a few times they will become very interested on how to release the clutch in an easier manner. It will save them their right leg, and teach them how to clutch the thing. The best tip I think for anyone learning how to use a clutch. Them 65s are so much fun though! get him an exhaust system to smooth out the power and play with the gearing to take away the warp drive hit.

• 09kx250fNC

Posted June 14, 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm not going to buy him a clutched bike anyime soon. He has only riden a dirt bike for two months. Probably only 12 hours or so total dirt bike experience period. If I throw him on a clutch bike right now he would get discouraged. I agree that you'll never learn until you try but he's just not ready yet. In my opinion the 110 is the best platform to teach the fundamentals of balance and control. He is learning how his imput affects the "thrill" of the ride. I'm just looking how to slowly take him up a notch. I'm thinking give him some better throttle response, then install the clutch kit, then maybe he'll be looking for a suspension upgrade? Thoughts?

Thanks

• asg5265

Posted June 14, 2010 - 04:21 PM

That was just a mere suggestion for when he does have to learn how to use a clutch. Trust me, I know what kids want to learn...Try a shock first like an Ishock or something. those really help. to help the motor also u can try a brainbox. There is so much to do to it would drive you nuts to looking at the bike everyday in stock form knowing what I know. lol. and a good pair of forks is whoo! more than you or I would want to pay. If the boy learns quickly and is enthused...then you prob wont have the bike very long anyway. The forks are in the high triple digits, and I dont think the stock ones are too terrible but the shock is not that hot.

• SPMRacing

Posted June 17, 2010 - 10:54 PM

If your riding a lot of woods and tighter areas, try a 35 or 37T rear sprocket for a little more "snap". Removing the airbox and going to a pod type filter will help as well(85M/40P) If your looking for an exhaust for it The Pro Circuit is a pretty good exhaust for the klx110(up to about 150cc's) And another fairly easy mod would be to install a more aggressive cam such as the Takegawa or kitaco. Also lightening the flywheel will help but if you install a clutch down the road, they stall easier w/ a lightened flywheel. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me or send me a PM.

Eric

• 09kx250fNC

Posted June 18, 2010 - 05:03 AM

So far I've completed the air box mod and a rejet. I began with a 40/85 set up but was still experienceing alot of bog. I went up to a 42/90 and it runs much better. I have not adjusted the needle (radio shack washers) or touched the stock exhaust. It seems that 5/8" is the magic number for the exhaust. I assume opening the thing up 5/8" applies to both ends of the plumbing?

• 09kx250fNC

Posted June 19, 2010 - 03:45 AM

Ok. I think I've completed all of the free or cheap upgrades. The bike runs sooo much better! What I've done: Match/opened air box to frame, opened stock header to 5/8", slotted the air/fuel srew and set to 2.25 out, 42 pilot, 90 main, and raised the throttle needle one "radio shack" washer.

Thanks TT for the tips!

• driedupmotocrosser

Posted June 24, 2010 - 04:40 PM

jump up a few teeth on the rear sprocket too helps a ton on the bottom

• gruberyz

Posted June 24, 2010 - 04:42 PM

buy an 85? or uncork it, take off the smogging gear, open up the air box. make sure ur running high octane clean fuel. go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket?

Um I'd suggest what I did when my daughters TTR110 was too wimpy....SX65 then YZ85

• 53Gearhead

Posted June 26, 2010 - 02:50 PM

How's the "snap" feel now, after the mod?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 klx110 mod by jMclear1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX 110
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Kawasaki Recalls Off-Road Motorcycles Due to Crash Hazard by Bryan Bosch

• 2 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Who has the best looking klx/drz 110 on thumpertalk by YZ KLX Rider

• Hot  82 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX110 2014 by Chris.GVS

Kawasaki KLX110 2014
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.