some advice please

3 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted June 12, 2010 - 12:20 AM

a few months back i had the shims checked over and the carb cleaned at a local bike shop.
Not had any work done there before but the guy seemed to talk the walk so to speak.
had the bike back a couple of month ago now but since having it back, it back fires when going down hill with the throttle knocked off.
mainly when doing road work at higher revs.

theres also a slight smell of burning oil this again has only started around the same time.

i change the oil and filter every 2nd ride

bike is a 2005 450 done around 4 to 5k at a guess its never been raced just used for trails.

any imfo be great :thumbsup:

• JDLowrance

Posted June 12, 2010 - 05:21 AM

Check your F/A mixture screw. When mech. reinstalled it he may have left it turned in too far. Bottom it out lightly then count turns out. Start at 1.75 out and see if this help condition. If not, bowl is gonna have to be pulled off carb to check pilot jet. Maybe blocked after cleaning due to some dislodged debris clogging it up.

Burning oil smell could be from valve cove gasket installed incorrectly allowing a little oil to dribble out on exhaust.

Good luck, John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted June 12, 2010 - 09:02 AM

As far as the smell of burning oil goes, check on the head just above the head pipe to see if the rubber plug for the old decompression lever point is leaking. I hear these have a reputation for coming out. I think in 06 Yamaha changed the casting in the head and this hole was deleted

• minty0_10

Posted June 13, 2010 - 10:51 AM

ok cheers for the imfo i,l give it a go

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.