• Please sign in to reply

67 replies to this topic
  • Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 11, 2010 - 05:25 AM

First thread! :thumbsup:

This was my Fathers 75 Z1 he bought new the same year I was born. It was stored in his garage (2nd wife didn't want him riding) for 14+ years. He passed in 97 and when the bike saw the light of day it began to deteriorate pretty quick. Surface rust popped up everywhere and the clear on the tank lifted, any of the zinc plated hardware/spokes tarnished. So I tore it down a few years back and finally getting around to restoring it.

Original brochure

Posted Image

Posted Image

Me and my Pops in 76?

Posted Image

The bike before teardown

Posted Image

This is how it sat for 3 years :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 11, 2010 - 05:29 AM

And finally some progress:

I picked up a small sandblaster from Grainger, works "ok". I had some clogging problems until I installed a water seperator. Still took a while. The frame is stripped and in primer. I should have it painted by the end of the day. I ordered new rims and spokes so I'll rebuild the wheels and polish the engine while the paint cures. More pics to follow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 11, 2010 - 09:34 AM

Primed and painted with PJ1 epoxy frame paint. Never used it before but their OEM frame paints were pretty good. Powdercoating was out of the question since the frame tag was still in tact.

Posted Image

Made a polishing station out of an old motor I had. Found the arbor at Lowes on sale for $0.25! Bought 2.

Posted Image

Polishing & cleaning

Posted Image

Nasty wheels, spokes and rims on order.

Posted Image

• dfeckel

TT Bronze Member

223 posts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 09:45 AM

What a great project! Keep it up. When you're done, you'll have a beautiful, tangible connection to your father. Make sure you never get rid of it.

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 11, 2010 - 10:32 AM

Thanks!

I just ordered a zinc plating kit from Eastwood. It got great reviews and will save me a TON of money in the long run. It only costs $70, alot of the factory parts were zinc plated.

• shrubitup

brap

21,473 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Good project there.

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 16, 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thanks.

Moving along....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 17, 2010 - 11:09 AM

Got a little more cleaning done today, and remembered to bring the engine mounting hardware.

New plugs and mounted the coils. Still waiting on more paint to arrive so anything that's painted black is on hold. Which is a total buzz kill right now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took the carbs apart and they were worse than I thought. I got the bodies cleaned, you can see the difference with the nasty bowls. New kits on order.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The hub is cleaned and polished along with the brake. Cleaned and greased the brake pins, cleaned the inside of the brake and installed new wheel bearings.

Posted Image

• scalejockey

TT Addict

4,643 posts

Posted June 18, 2010 - 04:49 PM

NICE!!!!! My dad had a new 900 kz and latter had a 77(?) 1000. In 1981 that i rode it a bit when i was in high school.Man,the things that i did on that thing! A buddy of mine and i would ride it,he'd sit back on the passenger rest and i could wheelie forever.. I almost had my licence taken away by the state. OH man those were the days!

• MEANDMYDRZ

TT Gold Member

1,041 posts

Posted June 18, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Very cool! How cool is that with the connection to your father. I'm looking forward to the updates on the rebuild:thumbsup:

• APE Jay
311 posts

Posted June 28, 2010 - 10:14 PM

If you are going to go inside the motor, bookmark this site; http://kzzone.com/

• R.D.

TT Bronze Member

416 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 07:29 PM

My best friend had one brand new in 75. It had insane power for the times.

• martinfan30
13,116 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 05, 2010 - 02:03 PM

Very cool! Hows the build going?

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 06, 2010 - 11:23 AM

Sweet, I got some audience now. :)

I just got back from the Dominican, catching up on things then getting back to the bike.

I laced the rear wheel before I left but the new rim was messed up. I got the replacement rim, more paint and the carb kits so I should have some pics up in a few days.

The engine is fine besides a leaky shifter seal and the fact that it's been sitting for most of it's life.

Can't wait to fire this bitch up. :banana:

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 08, 2010 - 01:05 PM

Messed around with it a bit today. Got some small parts like little brackets, battery box, etc. painted. Still need to clean/polish the drive side of the rear wheel. So much work just in that one wheel! :) Got some electrical installed too. If it cools off here a little I might play around with a zinc plating kit I bought to restore some hardware.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Bryan Bosch
15,901 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 09, 2010 - 07:49 AM

First thread! :)

This was my Fathers 75 Z1 he bought new the same year I was born. It was stored in his garage (2nd wife didn't want him riding) for 14+ years. He passed in 97 and when the bike saw the light of day it began to deteriorate pretty quick. Surface rust popped up everywhere and the clear on the tank lifted, any of the zinc plated hardware/spokes tarnished. So I tore it down a few years back and finally getting around to restoring it.

Original brochure

Posted Image

Posted Image

Me and my Pops in 76?

Posted Image

The bike before teardown

Posted Image

This is how it sat for 3 years :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a cool thread. Subscribed!

When you're done, you'll need this:
http://www.sydneysvi...ml?feed=froogle :banana:

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 09, 2010 - 08:13 AM

This is a cool thread. Subscribed!

When you're done, you'll need this:
http://www.sydneysvi...ml?feed=froogle :)

:lol: I need some Mutton Chops too. :banana:

• Bryan Bosch
15,901 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 09, 2010 - 08:30 AM

The photo if you/dad riding + his passing just makes this a great story. Not his passing, but doing something like this in his honor. Sounds like a labor of love and something that can be passed down through the family. :)

• Jeekinz

Get Help Now

12,275 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 09, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thanks man.

I picked up a zinc plating kit from Eastwood to save money on new hardware. If any of you have restored something you know that a big part of your budget goes to new hardware and it's a necessity to have something that's done right.

Anyway, the parts came out better than expected. Eastwood doesn't give the best instructions on time in the solution, but I figured out that 4-5 minutes works the best for these sized parts. They say to leave larger items in longer so I left one of the axle adjusters in for 9-10 minutes and it came out all flaky and weird. So I sand blasted it again and put it in for 5 minutes.

These adjusters are available aftermarket for about $45, the plating kit only costs $70.

Before

Posted Image

and after

Posted Image

• martinfan30
13,116 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 10, 2010 - 10:46 AM

I've wondered how the zinc plating kits worked... Looks very nice! My dad and I have a few vintage honda's going now that we may try that kit.

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.