Sleeve repair

5 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted January 15, 2001 - 06:12 AM

Took my 99 400 apart over wekend and found minor vertical scratches on cylinder wall, exhaust side. Should I have a sleeve installed or should I just have the plating redone ( nikasil ? ) I heard that a cast iron sleeve may reduce performance. The scratching seems minor execpt for one which is about .015" wide by 3/16" long. I will install new pistin / rings and am considering a slightly higher compression ratio piston such a a Wiseco.( 13 : 1 ) Is there an advantage to this set-up and will it affect reliability? Thanks for your help!

• sbohanon

Posted January 15, 2001 - 08:32 AM

clark mason has the 420 kit from eric gorr with the higher compression i believe. you might want to get his impressions first. if you have it apart, the cost to go with the big bore kit is about $300.00-400.00.

• Tim

Posted January 15, 2001 - 09:48 AM

If you are not in a hurry (and don't live around Madison WI) you could send your cylinder to Eric Gorr and he will not charge you to look at it... and if it does need some work, he would be the man to talk to anyway.
Hope this helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted January 15, 2001 - 01:00 PM

I was also going to advise Eric Gorr as someone to check out your cylinder. If you've changed your spark plug a couple of times and didn't blow air thru that little hole on the right side of the cylinder head, dirt and debris could have fallen inside the cylinder when you lifted the plug out. It's amazing just how much junk collects in that cavity.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 01-15-2001).]

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted January 15, 2001 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I know Boit. Bought the bike used and I think the previous owner did some sloppy track-side plug changes. There was enough grit in there to do some serious damage.
This seems to be an obvious but often overlooked fact with dramatic consequences. :) Anyhow the damage was done, will probably only have replated locally ( after precision honing / mesuring ) as a reputable rebuilder here in Montreal ( J. Precision Racing ) says that the wall thickness of Yamaha's nikesil may be as much as .010", thereby ridding the minor grooving that I have found. Should I use an original Yamaha piston or an aftermarket such as Wiseco or others?

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 01-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited 01-15-2001).]

• Matt406

Posted January 15, 2001 - 02:54 PM

Wiseco pistons are forged from a block of metal, so they are not always cut to exact sizes. They also may not be a perfct cylinder, so i would go with something else. I hear JE are good or White Brothers are the best. Good Luck.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.