Chain slap

17 replies to this topic
  • jwatts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 03:30 AM

I just picked up an 09' wr 450f and i noticed theres a little chain slap in it. I did adjust the chain a little, will this get rid of it? Does anybody else have this problem?

• tt3506spd

Posted June 11, 2010 - 03:53 AM

has it got all of its chain guides?

• Mutu

Posted June 11, 2010 - 03:59 AM

New bike, the chain will stretch. Adjust the slack and the slap will disappear.

• Powerage

Posted June 11, 2010 - 05:06 AM

Had the problem on my '08... Mine seems a lot better now since putting a performance baffle in the end of the pipe... Guess now with less back pressure, the massive engine braking effect the old baffle had was flapping the chain round...

Have also heard that if you put some silicone under the swing arm rubber, it lessens the effect of the chain slap, but havent tried this myself. :thumbsup:

• jwatts

Posted June 12, 2010 - 04:37 AM

Silicone, sounds like that would work. I did adjust it a little and it seemed to go away.thanks again guys

• rkwfxd1

Posted June 12, 2010 - 05:52 AM

I just picked up an 09' wr 450f and i noticed theres a little chain slap in it. I did adjust the chain a little, will this get rid of it? Does anybody else have this problem?

No. I lube my chain after every ride and I always check to make sure the slack is within spec.

• ArcticWR400

Posted June 12, 2010 - 09:46 AM

Silicone, sounds like that would work. I did adjust it a little and it seemed to go away.thanks again guys

Mine does this as well... I just glued some foam under the chain-slide on the swing arm... yes the chain will still touch it but the sound I was hearing (and likely you as well) is the plastic swingarm protector smacking the swingarm when the chain hits the protector, because it's just 4 screws holding it on and it doesn't necessarily sit perfectly against the swingarm.

• KennyMc

Posted June 12, 2010 - 08:55 PM

When adjusting the chain, make sure you count the notches from the back to front. There aren't the same amount of notches when counting from the front to back which will lead to your chain being mis-aligned.

As some others have said, it is the swingarm chain guide that is "slapping".

• Stickshift

Posted June 14, 2010 - 07:24 PM

My buddy and I also always adjust the chain to the tight side of the specified range. One other hot tip - expensive but oh so worth it - TM Designworks chain guides are awesome, they will take a lot of the slap out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Paco Paez

Posted June 14, 2010 - 08:14 PM

Today I adjusted my chain once again reason being chain slap and by reading the manual it said to mount the bike on a stand when checking slack I was cheking it off the stand I was one inch off I will try it tomorrow will ride to work PACO

• BajaFool

Posted June 14, 2010 - 09:07 PM

rkwfxd1,
Check to see if your chain is hitting the inside of the seat sub-frame or the main frame (the frame part that has the left-hand foot peg attached to it). If this is occurring, your problem is that the chain is adjusted too loose. I do not subscribe to the theory that the chain slider is causing the slapping sound. I believe that the sound is caused by a too loose chain hitting the slider or the frame members.

While I'm sure that you adjust your chain correctly, let's review this procedure for others. First, Kenshaw 720 makes a good point about correctly counting the alignment marks on either side of the axle. Second, make sure that you elevate the motorcycle on a stand to raise the rear wheel off of the ground. Third, rotate the wheel to find the tightest area of the chain and locate it over the attaching bolt for the chain slider. Fourth, take the slack measurement by measuring from the surface of the chain slider at the attaching bolt straight up to the underside of the chain at the point where it is being lifted up to remove all slack (dimension A in the Owner's Manual section on checking chain slack). The chain slack tolerance is 48 - 58 mm or 1.9 - 2.3 in. (NOTE: DO NOT take this measurement by measuring the distance from some part of the slack chain to the same location on the chain with the chain stretched tight. If you do this, your chain will be too loose. In the old days, when the world was still flat, this was the way to measure chain slack on some makes of motorcycles, but not anymore. I hope this helps you.

• Paco Paez

Posted June 15, 2010 - 08:17 PM

big improvement still a litle bit of slap will pay attention to wha baja fool is saying

• whitethumper

Posted July 05, 2010 - 08:11 PM

My 08 WR450 is making the same noise also. It appears to be the chain making contact with the plastic chain guard on the swing arm.

Any good fixes out there? I'm thinking about applying some apoxy to the chain guard to ensure it's mounted securely to the swingarm.

• KennyMc

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:33 PM

My 08 WR450 is making the same noise also. It appears to be the chain making contact with the plastic chain guard on the swing arm.

Any good fixes out there? I'm thinking about applying some apoxy to the chain guard to ensure it's mounted securely to the swingarm.

Apoxy will work great along with the properly adjusted/aligned chain:ride:

• YamaLink

Posted July 07, 2010 - 07:45 AM

The TM Design is a good option for many. The WR chain doesn't slap near as bad as the KTM I recently picked up; orange bikes need a bit more slack to prevent countershaft damage/seal leaking.

• Youser

Posted July 07, 2010 - 06:29 PM

I believe that this may be a common problem with the WR450. I have a 2009 and must tighten it tighter than the specs in the manuel to get the slap to go away. My chain seems to only slap while in 2nd gear under load with low rpms. My chain actually hits the sub fram and there are chew marks atesting to this. Anybody else have/had this problem.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 08, 2010 - 02:43 AM

Yeah, many have (including me.)

I was making/selling these chainblocks a while ago.
This totally eliminates the problem, you can run whatever chain slack you prefer, even old, worn chains don't slap against the sub-frame.

I sort of got sick of making them because its so labour intensive and there's little profit in them.

I had a few issues with the aluminium stressing/fracturing in the early days but I seemed to have it sorted out towards the end.
If I had my time over again I'd probably make the base from stainless steel. Sure, they'd be heavier, but a lot stronger too.

Greg

Posted Image

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 24, 2010 - 01:51 PM

You'll never completely get rid of chain slap on WR's unless you OVER TIGHTEN the chain which is very bad and you shouldn't do. Worn sprockets and too much slack make it worse but even with TM chain sliders and new sprockets/chain I would still get a little slap when lugging the bike. Its really annoying but the worst thing is everyone else thinks your bike sounds like a heap of shit coming apart.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.