'06 YZ 450 Brake Pedal

5 replies to this topic
  • rdrata

Posted June 10, 2010 - 07:48 PM

Anyone else not thrilled with brake location on the '06 YZ450? I'm considering a Sunline. I really like the location of the Honda, and haven't quite figured out where it is relative to the Yami. Any thoughts/ideas?

• Steel Panther

Posted June 11, 2010 - 11:56 AM

found mine to be a little short, and my size 12 boot sometimes get caught underneath it out of left hand turns, almost killed me on a jump when my boot go stuck under it and when I moved my foot down it snagged the pedal and stalled the bike in the air. But at $200+ for a damn pedal ill stick with the stock one and try to avoid that situation.

• RCannon

Posted June 11, 2010 - 07:44 PM

I felt like the pedal on my yz 250 was too short as well. Its the same as the 450's.

I drilled out the stock rivet for the tip and slid it forward. There is a spot cast into the back of the aluminum portion that looks like it was made for this...very strange. Anyway, it slid forward almost 3/8 inch. I then drilled and tapped it for a 4mm metric bolt. Its much better and the cost was nothing. I stole the idea from someone else. Towards the bottom of the thread I took some before and after pics.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=854869

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdrata

Posted June 11, 2010 - 08:50 PM

I think I saw this one; I still quite can't figure out what makes the Honda, but it just seems really natural in its position. Does this mod make the pedal seem to hit the right spot on the boot for you? I feel like sometimes I'm searching for it at times hitting fast corners. I too have large boots. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

• RCannon

Posted June 11, 2010 - 09:15 PM

I think I saw this one; I still quite can't figure out what makes the Honda, but it just seems really natural in its position. Does this mod make the pedal seem to hit the right spot on the boot for you? I feel like sometimes I'm searching for it at times hitting fast corners. I too have large boots. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

Thats a good way to describe it. The stock tip hit my boot in the wrong position. I was always aware of it, and the brake lacked feel.

Moved forward it felt good and within a few minutes I was not aware of it anymore.

The aluminum clevis helped as well. Notice how much the stock lever moves just to take up the play in the stock linkage.

• rdrata

Posted June 24, 2010 - 08:07 PM

RCannon
I had the opportunity to do the test the KTM 2011 line at Pala a week or so ago, and I couldn't help but to take some dimensions of brake pedal location. The Katooms set their pedal from face of peg to back face of pedal at 3-3/4". It seemed right there when you needed it. There was a Honda close by, and Red sets theirs at approx 4-1/4". The YZ as we know is about in the middle at 4". I picked up a Hammerhead Designs pedal tip @ (5mm) and am going to set it at the standard hole which gives me about 3-3/4"; if that doesn't work I'll push it up to the upper hole in your post giving me approx. 4-3/16". Plus the peg is a bit wider. I'll test it this weekend and provide some feedback.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.