09 WR 450 Advice Jetting/AIS/Exhaust Alum Fr

27 replies to this topic
  • kneesmoke

Posted June 10, 2010 - 05:29 PM

First of all, the usual bit I have planned
1. Throttle stop screw - cut down (done)
2. Gray Wire - Pull Out (about to be done)
3. AIS Removal Kit (TT or GYTR)
4. Jetting Kit/Mixture Knobs?
5. Exhaust mods?

1. The throttle stop screw is already cut down to the aprox 20mm shaft length. The gray wire is about to be pulled. To be honest, the bike is hard to start now and you gotta be aggressive with it to keep it going when cold. It's fine after it has warmed up. I think this is from the crap stock jetting.

2. I need an AIS kit. Bike bandit has 2 listed from GYTR for the WR450. I assume the more expensive one is for the alum frame ones, as the store doesn't friggin list years on the product!:thumbsup: I read lots of good things about the TT kit, but the link is down on the main page for it. I assume it is no longer in production.:lol:

3. If I go the route of the GYTR kit, it includes a 48 pilot jet. I've never changed jets, though I have adjusted needles on tillers, mowers, etc. So I'm kind of a carb noob when it comes to this stuff, but not a total noob. I think this is a fatter/richer needle than what I had before. Will this smooth out and fix the stock hard starting problem?

4. I see the JD jetting needles as a popular option. I assume this includes the low speed (idle) and high speed needles (so 2). This just sticks in. However, I guess you really then need to buy a GYTR, MSR, whatever knob so you can adjust what I assume is the high speed needle on the fly, right? Recommendations for exact products for above would be appreciated. However, the jetting kit is $75 and the knobs look to be $30-40

5. Any recommendations on the exhaust. However, I don't want it to be loud as shit. Do most people go with just the can or go for the full system?

Thanks for your help all. Plus. this will be great to have it all in one thread and current for us noob types.

• rkwfxd1

Posted June 10, 2010 - 09:15 PM

Well FWIW

I have an 09 and was faced with the same decisions as you. I read lots of opinions on here then decided to just go with the factory stuff for about $45. I purchased the Yamaha kit and replaced all the jets that came in the kit as well as the throttle stop and I removed the pea shooter from the stock exhaust. I did not do the grey wire mod because I do not need any more top end and I did not remove the AIS because some rangers check for it in some places here in So. Cal.

I am VERY happy with my bike. It starts right up, runs cool, is quiet, has plenty of power and doesn't stall unless I do something stupid.

The hardest part about re-jetting the carb is actually getting to and removing the carb. The instructions in the kit are very clear.

I know others have had great success with the JD kits, I just chose to go with the factory kit with the understanding that I might need to change things later. So far, I wouldn't / won't change a thing.

• jwatts

Posted June 11, 2010 - 02:46 AM

I also have an 09' i just got and i'm thinking about doing these mods. Do you guys have any websites or more info or part numbers on this gytr kit? Thanks

• William1

Posted June 11, 2010 - 06:18 AM

Read this before you touch or order anything:
FCR-Tuning Guide

The extended fuel screw fine tunes the pilot (idle)mix. Get a brass or stainlkess steel one. Do not get an allow/aluminum one.

AIS removel does not change performance. It removes a few ounces of emissions parts, reduces potential decel popping. Removal also makes tuning with a wideband easier.

• kneesmoke

Posted June 11, 2010 - 06:53 PM

http://www.motorcycl...450F-Parts.aspx

looks like that's the fuel screw to get

• William1

Posted June 11, 2010 - 11:20 PM

That is an alloy screw. I strongly suggest not getting it. Merge Racing, Kouba, KienTech, JD all make good screws.

• kneesmoke

Posted June 12, 2010 - 07:35 AM

Good call.
http://www.jdjetting...85&cat=4&page=1
That looks like a winner now. I have a friend who knows carbs, so I'll prob get the JD jetting kit while I am at it. The only thing I have yet to do is pick an ais removal kit. Does TT still make their kit or not?

• madroberts07

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:38 AM

That is an alloy screw. I strongly suggest not getting it. Merge Racing, Kouba, KienTech, JD all make good screws.

whats wrong with the alloy screws?:thumbsup:

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted June 13, 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have an 07 which is exactly the same as the 08-10 (as far as I know) and I have never changed jets before. I purchased the JD jetting kit and installed the 168 MJ, 48 PJ, and Red needle 4th clip down with few problems during installation. It was all pretty easy as long as you have the right tools. I went with a FMF powercore 4 exhaust which is slightly shorter than stock and a much deeper sound. Ive done all the free mods already and the yz throttle stop screw install. My bike cranks very easy now and runs like a bat out of hell. Hope this helps and good luck! ( by the way the things I have done to mine were decided upon only after a ton of research on TT.)

• kawi380

Posted June 13, 2010 - 09:38 AM

I went down to my local yamaha shop and bought the gytr ais removal kit, mostly for the yz screw. I don't believe the TT kit comes with the throttle stop screw. I also went with the jd kit which was easy to install and have had no problems. I am just looking at exhausts now as i munched my head pipe on a rock a few weeks ago. I am thinking Dr D but need to save some more pennies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted June 13, 2010 - 01:07 PM

whats wrong with the alloy screws?:thumbsup:

A few things. First, I have seen way too many with imprecisly machined tips, had to tell with the naked eye. The little tip is supposed to be perfectly even and many are slightly tapered. This forces the user to run a smaller pilot jet to ge the bike to idle properly, typically going for from a 45 pilot jet to a 38. Because it is tapered, it can be very sensitive to any slight adjustment, making it tricky to get right and is often a contributor to the dreaded 'hang idle'. Lastle, because of the taper and the soft material and peoples inate desire to make things tight, when they bottom the fuel screw than back it off, they find suddenly the screw does nothing. Upon removal, they realize the tip is missung and is now broken off and srick in the needle valve seat, possibly resulting in a ruined carb. So you can see why I am not too keen on the alloy screws.

• panaman

Posted June 14, 2010 - 08:23 AM

Good call.
http://www.jdjetting...85&cat=4&page=1
That looks like a winner now. I have a friend who knows carbs, so I'll prob get the JD jetting kit while I am at it. The only thing I have yet to do is pick an ais removal kit. Does TT still make their kit or not?

what part of ohio are you in? I just did all this stuff to my bike in august....
I ordered my gytr kit from ronayers.com and the jdjet kit from TT
Don't remember where i got the extended fuel screw from....
als the gytr ais kit comes with the new screw for the throttle stop...
I combines some stuff from the gytr jets and the jdjet kit and my bike runs great.... i removed the tiny pea shooter from the exhaust like the gytr kit says to do....

• kneesmoke

Posted June 14, 2010 - 12:57 PM

I live in Medina county, close to where I-76/224 and I-71 come together. I'm actually in Oklahoma at the moment with the FAA, but will be back home in Aug.

• hp22402

Posted June 15, 2010 - 12:20 PM

:lol::lol:

Ok I am confused. I am purchasing a 09 WR450 next week. I understand the grey wire mod and have seen the photo's etc...

I am confused on the throttle stop/jetting kit/fuel screw thing. If I want to do ALL the changes what comes with what?

So do I buy the GYTR AIS kit, then the JD Kit and then a fuel screw? Also what about the adj. leak jet bowls?

There are so many versions and everybody has there way to do it.

I am also in NE Ohio (Y-Town area)! Thanks...:thumbsup:

• William1

Posted June 15, 2010 - 12:40 PM

First, get your bike. Ride it. Then discuss what you do not like about it. Some of the mods make it faster, some easier to work on.

Of all the mods, the throttle stop is the most significant. If you want to also loose the AIS, then get the GYTR AIS kit. It not only has the bits for AIS removal, but it has the shorter throttle stop screw and a needle and jets.
Get an extended fuel screw.While you are working on the carb, you can install it.

But before you do anything, ride ther bike an hour or two. It is possible other issues can be adressed at the same time, if they exist. But certainly do not fix something that is not broken.

• bigp210

Posted June 15, 2010 - 12:56 PM

is the throttle stop just a removal or do you need a kit? just got an 09 and only turns halfway what a bummer

• William1

Posted June 15, 2010 - 05:04 PM

No, it is a shorter stop screw. If you just remove it you can go over center with the slide and it can become stuck.
Some cut it down, but I suggest replacing it. It needs to be the exact length and should have the end slightly rounded. A PITA to do unless you are careful and have the right tools. The screw can be bought on its' own - Yamaha Part # 5NL-14591-00-00

• hp22402

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:46 AM

William1: Thanks...I agree with everything you say, just over zealous I guess. I will ride it before I change anything and then go from there...looking forward to it!

• panaman

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:27 AM

No, it is a shorter stop screw. If you just remove it you can go over center with the slide and it can become stuck.
Some cut it down, but I suggest replacing it. It needs to be the exact length and should have the end slightly rounded. A PITA to do unless you are careful and have the right tools. The screw can be bought on its' own - Yamaha Part # 5NL-14591-00-00

Listen to william1... he knows what he is talking about....
If I were to do ONE thing to my bike it would be the throttle stop screw...
Just for the fact that it feels very weird not being able to twist the throttle all the way.

Also the GYTR AIS removal kit comes with the screw

• wrwest

Posted June 16, 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have a Q on the AIS kit, Where does the jet with the 110 stamped on it go .... There is no mention of it in the instructions

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.