Need help with fork and shock spring rates YZ426F

3 replies to this topic
  • Kevinlee70

Posted June 09, 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 YZ426F and I know the stock spring rates for the forks and shock are .46KG/MM and 5.4KG/MM respectively.

I weigh 215-220 pounds without riding gear and need to get some stiffer springs front and back.

Right now on the rear, i have to crank the pre-load a lot to get my correct race sag. The problem is that i then have zero static sag, the shock is topped right out.

Does anyone know what spring rates i need to get to work with my weight? (Is going to a .48KG/MM in the front and 5.6KG/MM in the rear enough of an increase?)

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2010 - 06:31 AM

Race Tech's spring rate search: http://www.racetech....d=17&menuid=49#

MX-Tech's spring rate generator:

Pay attention to whether the rider weight is wanted with or without riding gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jroon

Posted June 10, 2010 - 12:20 PM

I am 275 without equipment(yes I know, just like a tiny dancer) and I just went to a 6kg spring from race tech on the back, and I love it. My bike actually steers now, I take almost all the compression out of it for the woods and it seems to be just great. Now, if I could just stop stalling the old beast.......Hope this helps...
PS. Just to show how ludicrous our prices are up here in Canuckland, the yami dealer wanted 280 bucks for a 5.6 kg spring...My racetech cost 120....Geez...

• crf450319

Posted June 11, 2010 - 04:57 PM

I just ordered new springs front & back from DSP today, $170 US shipped. Anyway I'm 215 without gear and they suggested a .50 fork spring(s) and a 5.9 kg rear spring.

Race Tech's calculator was the same on the fork springs, but way off according the the tech I spoke with at DSP as RT suggested a 5.6 kg spring.

:thumbsup: - my 4 year old wanted to paste that one.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.