Oil at Wal-Mart?

8 replies to this topic
  • jaked02

Posted June 09, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hey guys I was cruising through wally world the other day and came across some oil that caught my eye, only $9.95 a qt and its synthetic! any one have expirience with it or a good reason not to try it out in a 06 wr 450?

this is the oil
http://www.castrol.c...ntentId=7040544

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 09, 2010 - 07:53 PM

$9.95 a quart is spendy.....

• Mrmonk7663

Posted June 10, 2010 - 06:34 PM

I use mobil 1 synthetic car oil in my bike. Much cheaper, extremely effective.

• YamaLink

Posted June 10, 2010 - 06:39 PM

What a koinkydink. A local go-fast racer told me today he buys all his oil for the 4 and 2 stroke at WallyWorld. But it's just Castrol GTX non-synth for the 450F and some SuperTech in gallon for the YZ 250. Don't want to turn this into an oil thread so....

Back to your original question: yes, $9.95 per quart is way spendy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted June 10, 2010 - 06:41 PM

:thumbsup: lots of oil thread debates out there :lol: But for sure $10 is too much for a quart.

• panaman

Posted June 11, 2010 - 05:59 AM

I hear good things about the Rotella T6 synthetic oil...
it can be bought for like 20 bucks a gallon at walmart

• jcm3

Posted June 13, 2010 - 09:00 PM

I use mobil 1 synthetic car oil in my bike. Much cheaper, extremely effective.

I was using that in my son's PW50, until I double-checked the label and saw that it was energy conserving. I think I've read that we shouldn't use oil with that on the label due to the fact that it causes the clutch to slip more than oil without the 'energy conserving' label.

I don't have long-term experience, so others may say that they use it and it doesn't have any negative side effects.

• panaman

Posted June 14, 2010 - 05:57 AM

I was using that in my son's PW50, until I double-checked the label and saw that it was energy conserving. I think I've read that we shouldn't use oil with that on the label due to the fact that it causes the clutch to slip more than oil without the 'energy conserving' label.

I don't have long-term experience, so others may say that they use it and it doesn't have any negative side effects.

you are correct on that statement.. i've heard the exact same thing.....

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2010 - 08:22 AM

What the manual cautions against is oils labeled "Energy Conserving II" or API ECII, not simply energy conserving, and they only say that the oil may cause problems.

But that is still not the issue. The real problem with most oils not originally blended to serve as gear lubes is that they cannot retain their viscosity in a unit that shares the engine oil with a transmission for more than a couple of hours use. This viscosity loss is undetectable by visual inspection since it only applies to the viscosity at operating temperatures. The oil will look normal when cold. But very often, the oil that you think is a 10w-40 will have collapsed into a 10w-30 or worse.

Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs if you doubt it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.