2007 WR450F Suspension to soft

12 replies to this topic
  • HaloSix4

Posted June 09, 2010 - 03:28 PM

So I got my New WR450 but I do a mix of trial riding and a bit of racing, but all of my trails have jumps, big and small. So I way 250 Pounds with gear (big but not fat), My Forks are set to the highest setting for the adjustment screw, and still bottom out on everything, the Back is also full but not as bad, but may as well get them done to. What would you you guys recommend to do, right now I'm looking at just getting eibach fork springs - 0.50 kg/mm (http://www.cheapcycl...ings-0-50-kg-mm) at the moment I don't really want to have to get them re-valved would they be good or still can go harder. For the rear I'm looking at race tech shock spring - 6.0kg/mm (http://www.cheapcycl...spring-6-0kg-mm) same thing would that be good for my weight or can I go harder. I have never actually had to redo any of my suspensions, but this WR is just way to soft.

Thanks for any help

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2010 - 03:39 PM

For your weight, Race Tech recommends .51-.52 front springs, and a 5.8 rear.

• HaloSix4

Posted June 09, 2010 - 04:12 PM

Alright thanks, I can't seem to find any in stock for the WR will the YZF ones fit the same?

• tribalbc

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:04 PM

If you're mechanically inclined I highly recomend getting the Smart Performance Phase 4 fork kit (valving) and his shock mods. I weigh 190lbs and with 0.48 fork springs and 100mm oil level the forks still don't have a hope in hell at not bottoming on bigger hits and get to be harsh on the smaller stuff when you click in to try and compensate.
If you DIY the kit is quite reasonably priced, (price of some fork springs) and will completely transform these forks.
The shock isn't as bad, but for the few $'s it is for the mods is well worth the change as well. Cures the rear end kick.

• HaloSix4

Posted June 09, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Alright I'll have to look into that.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2010 - 08:10 PM

If you're mechanically inclined I highly recomend getting the Smart Performance Phase 4 fork kit ...(it) will completely transform these forks.

All true.

Alright thanks, I can't seem to find any in stock for the WR will the YZF ones fit the same?

Shock spring yes, fork springs no. The fork is a different design that the YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted June 11, 2010 - 01:29 PM

Hey Halo, I mucked around with my bike changing springs before I bit the bullet and got them revalved and set up properly. I could never get them set properly myself. I thought the shock was alright with a 5.8kg spring, but that was until I got it back from the suspension joint.

Serioiusly dude, save up and get them done properly. It's the best mod you'll ever make.

• HaloSix4

Posted June 11, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Alright, Thanks. I will probably re-valve them, the Phase 4 kit seems to be the best deal so far.

• jlow

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:11 AM

tribal, i have the smart performance setup in the front and rear. can't get the kick out of the rear end when jumping large logs aggressively. everytime i hit them, the back end pogos up and bucks me straight up. any advice. i've tried adjusting the rebound slower and the high speed compression both faster and slower. sag is about 102mm. thanks jlow

• tribalbc

Posted June 13, 2010 - 07:39 AM

tribal, i have the smart performance setup in the front and rear. can't get the kick out of the rear end when jumping large logs aggressively. everytime i hit them, the back end pogos up and bucks me straight up. any advice. i've tried adjusting the rebound slower and the high speed compression both faster and slower. sag is about 102mm. thanks jlow

I actually haven't needed to move the shock clickers. But I found there was too little rebound in the forks so I softened it one to two clicks. I found the front end was too dead (not to mention issues with packing on braking bumps on the MX track) but the rear was fine. This did give the rear more kick over stuff though as the suspension was not balanced.
Now with less rebound dampening in the forks the suspension is balanced and I get a nice lift off stuff rather than a rear end kick.
I like to hit lots of big logs as well, got a couple set up in my yard :thumbsup:

• kawi380

Posted June 13, 2010 - 09:40 AM

Alright, Thanks. I will probably re-valve them, the Phase 4 kit seems to be the best deal so far.

Great deal and very simple to do yourself with a few tools.

• Ivan Krashn

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:27 PM

I did Dave's Phase 4 and shock mods to my 06, took it out yesterday for the first ride on new boingers. The difference was amazing to say the least. I'm 220 lbs so a spring change was in order. This thing used to smack me in the ass hard enough to see stars over logs and step ups. After taking 2 clicks out on shock compression the rear end just became almost invisible. The fork used to deflect and beat me up on trail trash, now everything under about 4 inches high is like it's almost not there. I can jump the bike without fear. Deflection is limited to tire slip on wet roots. Its like a different bike, it is a different bike. Do it yourself and save a lot over sending it out. Dave is really good at helping you through it and the guys here including myself are willing to lend a hand. Tribalbc helped me out with a tip (thanks!) and you can search the site for info. Good experience- I give the Smart Performance Phase 4 and shock mods a giant :thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:54 PM

Do it yourself and save a lot over sending it out.

Yeah, you guys seem to really get ripped off with suspension tuning over there in the states.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.