Advice on coming to your side !!

5 replies to this topic
  • mijowilson

Posted June 09, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hello All

I will admit that Im an avid and true honda xr 650 rider, but...Im serously thinking about picking up a 2008 WR450F. my intentions of this bike is to make it street legal becuase for my life style I need a bike to get me two and from the trails. I love my big 650's and have ridden them hard for years but I really admire the new suspension and the light waight of the WR's. I was seriously looking and hondas CRF450X but I have heard nothing but problems with the valves and maintenance. SOOO, Im lookign for a liitle input on how these bike really are, I would appreciate honest answers although looking for answers on a WR forum Im sure I will get a lot of "oh they are the best". How do they stack up for relability and performance, is 2008 a good year for this bike, I have an oppertunity to buy one that is completely stock. I would then modify to the nines!
Thans for all your honest input:ride:

• 2in2out

Posted June 09, 2010 - 02:48 PM

Free mods, Desert tank, Exhaust, Jetting, suspension, and Tusk Enduro lighting kit. Done!!! A days work tops.

Depending on your street and trail riding style, you may need to adjust sprocket sizes, and you may need a GUTS or SDG seat cover.

• tribalbc

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hello All

I will admit that Im an avid and true honda xr 650 rider, but...Im serously thinking about picking up a 2008 WR450F. my intentions of this bike is to make it street legal becuase for my life style I need a bike to get me two and from the trails. I love my big 650's and have ridden them hard for years but I really admire the new suspension and the light waight of the WR's. I was seriously looking and hondas CRF450X but I have heard nothing but problems with the valves and maintenance. SOOO, Im lookign for a liitle input on how these bike really are, I would appreciate honest answers although looking for answers on a WR forum Im sure I will get a lot of "oh they are the best". How do they stack up for relability and performance, is 2008 a good year for this bike, I have an oppertunity to buy one that is completely stock. I would then modify to the nines!
Thans for all your honest input:ride:

As of last September you can no longer get a dirt bike plated in BC. If your 650 is already plated you're good as long as you never get pulled over and told to get an inspection.
So keep what you have or look at a Husky or KTM dual sport if you're looking for a new ride that you can plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted June 09, 2010 - 07:57 PM

Did a 08 Husky TE510, no like, traded it in on my 09 WR450 and DS'ed my KTM 450.
If I had to do it over again, I would look for a 07-08 Beta 450-525RS, Street legal dirt bike with blinkers. Other potential madness is to wait for the Husaberg 570 (scheduled for release late 10 or early 11, I think). Just my 2 bits.

• mijowilson

Posted June 10, 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info on the plating issue in BC...That really sucks. I gues Ill have to look for a WR thats already plated.

Where are you at tribalBC?

• tribalbc

Posted June 11, 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the info on the plating issue in BC...That really sucks. I gues Ill have to look for a WR thats already plated.

Where are you at tribalBC?

You'll be much happier with the WR on everything but the street. They're very reliable as well, not quite XR reliable as they are a more high performance engine, but they generally have long lives. I'm at over 11,000 km on mine of tight single track and some MX and I just had to do my first valve adjustment 500 km ago.
Pemberton area.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.