Plastics

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 14, 2001 - 04:05 PM

Hello everyone I was wondering i have been eating dirt alot and my plastics are getting pretty scratched up . I was wondering if anyone had some tips on getting them looking decent again. I was wondering if they can be sanded and painted .

• teamtoxic

Posted January 14, 2001 - 06:13 PM

I know there is a plastic repair kit that is sold in most motorcycle mags. I think it's called "Plastic Renew" and its $10 or $20 for a bottle of it. There is a lot of sanding involved so it takes a while to do. I have some but I've never used it so I don't know how well it turns out.
One of my friends tried painting his plastic but that is a VERY temporary fix. It starts flaking and looking bad quickly. I wouldn't recommend it.
Give the Plastic Renew stuff a try and if that doesn't work, just buy new plastic. It doesn't hurt too much to buy new plastic for your bike every few years.

------------------
15 years old.
2000 Yamaha 426F.
1996 Yamaha XT 600.
That's all I need to survive here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4banger

Posted January 14, 2001 - 06:46 PM

Plastic Renew is too much work and not good enough results. I just buy new and some people sand with fine sandpaper or steelwool and apply Mop-N-Glo to it. I don't know how it works though.

• Matt406

Posted January 15, 2001 - 05:24 AM

Just buy new plastics. Its roughly $50 for new front and rear fenders. The stock YZ plstics are worthless anyways, so if you still have them, trash them. UFO and One Industries make good plastics. Give them a try.
Matt

------------------

• DaveJ

Posted January 15, 2001 - 04:13 PM

I've put some time and thought into this and here's what I've tried.

I first attempted the sanding route. Went as fine as I could get. This was better than having major marks on the plastic, but it still did not have that showroom gloss.

So then I went to a polishing wheel and compound. This helped, but it was still too much work and the compound flys all over the place. The shine was okay, but still not showroom like.

So then I thought to myself, the reason why the factory stuff looks like it does is not because of polishing, but because it comes out of the molds as such. Dah! This means the plastic is either melted and poured in, or heated and shaped. In either case, the heat and smooth mold provides the smooth shiny surface.

So I thought perhaps heat would do the trick. So I sanded the plastic to get all the major scratches to a dull, cleaned it with an evaporating solvent (I used carb cleaner), then took a torch to the plastic and gently applied the flame.

I noticed that all the fine scratches seem to burn up and quickly melt back into the plastic, leaving a smooth shiny surface. It was, however, a bit tricky getting all of the plastic heated up evenly without burning it or causing it to droop. Additionally, the torch left black soot in a few spots, but the blue flame burns rather clean so it was not too big of a concern.

But the overall effect, for the first go around, proved successful enough that applying heat could be the way to go.

For my next trick, I was going to try a heat gun so to better apply the heat more evenly and not have any concerns about the soot.

I've yet to try this, and have not tried it on white plastic as well. But if you have some old plastic hanging around give it a go and share your results.

Good luck.

DaveJ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.