Worth it to put 06 YZ450F full exhaust system on 08 YZ450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • mdkcrf250r

Posted June 09, 2010 - 03:40 AM

I got an 08 YZ450F and the power is a little lacking. I've come across a good deal on a stock full system exhaust from an 06 YZ450F and I'm wondering if its worth the cost or to just spend like $300 more on a full system DR. D..I can pick the stock 06 system for about $100 and I'm seriously considering it but I'm wondering if it's worth it or to just get a full aftermarket exhaust for about $400-450...

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2010 - 06:47 AM

Haven't we already had this discussion?

With the '08-'09, almost any slip-on will add 2-4 hp in the mid range at around 5000 rpm, but the gains will be greater still if you use an earlier header (the '06 is preferred), and better still with a full system. I've seen mid range gains as high as 7 hp.

• crf450319

Posted June 10, 2010 - 03:24 PM

I put an OEM '06 header on my '09 and added a Pro Circuit slip-on, shortly thereafter I squashed the ti header. I've since gone to an FMF stainless power bomb header.

For $100 you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better power to dollar spent ratio, it may not make quite as much power as a full aftermarket system but you'd be saving $300.

Either way, you'll be a happy camper once you get that crap OEM header/shorty can off your bike !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mdkcrf250r

Posted June 11, 2010 - 07:09 PM

thanks for the input crf...

• crf450319

Posted June 11, 2010 - 07:27 PM

My pleasure ! I had to ride my bike with the OEM full exhaust system on it for a couple weeks while I was waiting for my stainless header to show up. I do not like the stock exhaust one bit, especially after having ridden the bike since it was new with an aftermarket slip-on paired with that '06 header. I should be good now though, I've got 2 new stainless headers to run. So if I damage one of them I'll throw the other one on.

The only thing I didn't like about the '06 header was that it was titanium, I crashed on it and bent the crap out of it on my 3rd ride. So from now on it'll be stainless for me !!

Let us know what you think when you get a different pipe on that thing..

Take care. :thumbsup:

• mdkcrf250r

Posted June 11, 2010 - 09:01 PM

I was just weighing my options and I've decided to go with the DR.D full system. I liked the idea of a stock 06 exhaust but I would have to buy a spark arrestor for it and that would've put me at about $230 total whereas I can get the DR.D full system for about $400 with a spark arrestor included.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.