05 yz450 new cases shaft problem

4 replies to this topic
  • Timm

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:59 PM

hi just a quick question.How do I get the oil pump drive gear shaft out of my old case.I've got the shift shaft pin out,that was fairly easy.Do i need to heat the case up for the install of said pin?I'm about ready to put them together and i really don't want to do something stupid with my new cases.They"re not exactly cheap.Thanks for any help.

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2010 - 07:35 PM

If I remember correctly, that shaft goes through, and there's a snap ring on the inboard end of it. You should be able to drive it in a little, remove the ring, and drive it back out. I'd recommend that versus driving it through to avoid scoring the wear surface. To install it, warm the new case, slip the shaft in, apply a new snap ring, and drive it out against the ring.

If I'm wrong, and the shaft is in a blind hole, you can actually drill through from behind the pin and punch it out, being as your current cases are damaged (I'm assuming).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Timm

Posted June 07, 2010 - 08:21 PM

thanks for the quick reply,The c shaped locking ring looks like it's in a groove thats cast in the case.It almost looks like you have to rotate it to get the c clip off.the only way it seems that could work is to heat the case, my cases are toast anyway, chain cracked my left case.I will try driving it back'I just didn't want to ruin the shaft.The pin on the shift shaft i just drive in or do i need heat?thanks a bunch.you are one knowing individual

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2010 - 06:38 AM

You should be able to just drive the centering pin in cold, but it never hurts to use a little heat to take some pressure off things. The safest way is an oven. Limit the temperature to 250 ℉ or less. If you can't do that, go by when a drop of water will bounce off as your "red line".

Also, whether pressing or driving the pin, or any other similar item, place some sort of support directly behind the item being moved in such a way that the force you are applying will not tend to bend or distort the assembly you're working on.

• Timm

Posted June 08, 2010 - 06:54 AM

Thank"s for the quick answer.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.