Braking 270mm rotor kit

19 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:07 PM

Just bought one from Motorcycle superstore for $233 (not a bad deal if it works).

Looking for more stopping power. Got used to the Brembos on my 525 and really miss the one finger braking.

Anyone tried this item?

http://www.motorcycl...-Rotor-Kit.aspx

John

• tribalbc

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:21 PM

I've heard good things about this kit. Be interesting to hear your results...

• dazzabb

Posted June 08, 2010 - 07:20 AM

I had a Braking disc on my WR450, like you I am used to KTM one finger braking on my 300.

Unfortunately I found it to be not much of an improvement at all.
The disc was also VERY thin, looked like it was worn when it was new!

I went back to standard and sold the Braking disc.

Apologies, I just noticed it was the oversize disc you tried, I only had the standard size Braking disc so comparison is not valid.

Edited by dazzabb, June 08, 2010 - 07:22 AM.
Re-read post

• slygary

Posted June 09, 2010 - 03:01 AM

Yes, i got the batfly braking disc 270mm for my 09 WR450. Only have to have to pull the brake lever softley now. Not a massive difference like on my motard setup but it does help.

• seanwr250

Posted June 09, 2010 - 08:25 AM

Yes, i got the batfly braking disc 270mm for my 09 WR450. Only have to have to pull the brake lever softley now. Not a massive difference like on my motard setup but it does help.

What thickness it the disc, and could i be a paint in the arse and ask for a couple of pictures of the brake set up? :thumbsup:

• JDLowrance

Posted June 09, 2010 - 04:38 PM

Disk measure 3.2mm thick and the min is 2.7mm as stamped on carrier.

Just got the kit and it looks the bomb!

Gonna mount it and go for a ride Friday, will post results.

Pictire of kit is in first thread.

John

• djmamayek

Posted June 09, 2010 - 04:43 PM

I have the batfly on my YZ250, I love it... Combined with a honda master cylinder and caliper it is just as good as the KTM Brembos (almost).

• R-Dubya

Posted June 09, 2010 - 04:53 PM

You do realize that bigger discs and even better calipers won't increase your stopping power right? As long as you can lock up the front tire if you wanted to, there's nothing more your brakes can do. At that point, it's tires. Bigger, better brakes are more for decreased brake fade and better heat dissipation. You won't actually stop any faster. Just wanted to clear that up. Apart from that, the kit WILL give you a different feel for the brakes, which is probably more like what you are talking about. And like I said, better brakes equal better heat dissipation and if you get brake fade while riding, that will be decreased as well. It should also give you that easier, 1 finger brake feel you're talking about assuming you have good pads on there. Hope it helps.

• djmamayek

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:05 PM

It's not about power, its about feel, progressiveness, responsiveness and consistency. If you can modulate your brakes better, to prevent lockup, you WILL stop faster. This is why people do brake mods. I can out stop my stock setup, because I can consistently modulate the brake with one finger, as opposed to having to pull with two fingers, and having a floating engagement point.

A better brake system WILL stop your bike faster, more consistently, and more often... Otherwise we'd all still be using drums, because those could lock up the tire too.

• R-Dubya

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:14 PM

It's not about power, its about feel, progressiveness, responsiveness and consistency. If you can modulate your brakes better, to prevent lockup, you WILL stop faster. This is why people do brake mods. I can out stop my stock setup, because I can consistently modulate the brake with one finger, as opposed to having to pull with two fingers, and having a floating engagement point.

A better brake system WILL stop your bike faster, more consistently, and more often... Otherwise we'd all still be using drums, because those could lock up the tire too.

I was correcting him more about how he worded it. :thumbsup: He said he was looking for more stopping power. Which he won't get. I did say that the feel would be better, did I not? I just like being a jerk lol. The fact of the matter is that literal braking distance will NOT be improved. The stopping ability of the bike will be the same. Everything that is up to the user will be improved, however, which will equate to a lot more braking confidence, and better braking while riding.

I should know. My old master cylinder on my ktm leaked fluid and my lever got spongy. It ended up with the bike doing a headstand then body slamming me after washing the front wheel coming into a turn. Even though the brakes could, and did, lock up the front wheel. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:34 PM

You DO get more braking power from a larger rotor simply because you have more leverage on the wheel.

That is why you can use just one finger in liue of 2,3 or in some cases :thumbsup: 4.

It's obvious you'll only be able to stop as quickly as the coefficient of friction between tire and terrain will allow but you will still have more braking power requireing less lever effort.

John

• ASternad

Posted June 09, 2010 - 08:34 PM

This upgrade is for trail riding or super moto?

Never mind - followed the link and it says "270mm oversized front rotor kit options for all MX and Off Rd applications"

• slygary

Posted June 10, 2010 - 01:30 AM

Here's a few pics of the batfly rotor on my wr450.Is a bit hard to see mounting bracket.Hope these are good enough. Dont know about the thickness of the rotor, maybe have a look on brakingusa.com
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• pdunlop

Posted June 10, 2010 - 03:15 PM

Sorry - a little off topic, but can I ask where you got your fork leg decals from?

• JDLowrance

Posted June 11, 2010 - 03:45 PM

Gotta say I'm happy with the purchase. One finger braking for most situations (two at the most) and very easy to modulate.

Takes about an hour or so for break-in but once that was accomplished I was quite satisfied.

Not quite as strong as my 05 525EXC but way better than stock.

John

• tribalbc

Posted June 11, 2010 - 04:28 PM

Gotta say I'm happy with the purchase. One finger braking for most situations (two at the most) and very easy to modulate.

Takes about an hour or so for break-in but once that was accomplished I was quite satisfied.

Not quite as strong as my 05 525EXC but way better than stock.

John

Thanks for the report :thumbsup:

• JDLowrance

Posted June 11, 2010 - 04:59 PM

No worries. Gotta say bang for the buck is fantastic. Bling factor not bad either.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted June 11, 2010 - 08:46 PM

Would this work well for a supermoto application? Or is a 320mm the only way to go? The 320 EBC kit is about $90....is the extra money worth it when using a stock caliper/master cylinder?

• slygary

Posted June 11, 2010 - 09:59 PM

Sorry - a little off topic, but can I ask where you got your fork leg decals from?

06-07 R/H fork leg protecter. YZ450 sticker kit shroud stickers not 100% had to make a couple cuts and adjustments but i am happy with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• JDLowrance

Posted June 12, 2010 - 05:11 AM

Would this work well for a supermoto application? Or is a 320mm the only way to go? The 320 EBC kit is about $90....is the extra money worth it when using a stock caliper/master cylinder?

Depends on how fast you plan on going. For the road, if you're just tooling around, maybe.

I've got an 08 YZ450F converted for SM track use and there is no way this brake set-up would be sufficient. I'm currently running Magura 13mm master with 4 piston caliper and 320mm rotor. Talk about whoa power. Only way to go on SM in my opinion.

John

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.