Biggest weight save on 2010 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • Swiss_Dirtrider

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:12 AM

Hi anyone

has anyone in here thought about weightsaving already? Where are the heavy parts? Why is this bike is so much heavier then the 09 model?

What can be done / replaced for saving weight the easiest way? Where to start?

Unsprung weight is always a good thing to start i think. Has anyone tried tubeless systems yet? How much weight would that save (real, not what manufacturer says...)

Thanks for all ideas or experiences!
Regards
Oliver

• aedwards07

Posted June 07, 2010 - 07:03 AM

Full Titanium/carbon exhaust,ti bolts,etc

• Troutman

Posted June 07, 2010 - 07:45 AM

I would save your money. The thing feels so light as is its amazing.

• racerxx276

Posted June 08, 2010 - 11:13 AM

First off the 2010 feels very light when riding it. I find it hard to believe that there are that many people out there that can feel the 5.5 lb difference from the 09 to 10 ,when picking up the bike !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted June 08, 2010 - 01:58 PM

First off the 2010 feels very light when riding it. I find it hard to believe that there are that many people out there that can feel the 5.5 lb difference from the 09 to 10 ,when picking up the bike !

The wet weight is 7 lbs more than the 09 carrying less fuel than the 09. Fatory teams spend thousands to save weight and it is very noticable to a seasond rider. That being said I have no idea of light weight stuff for the 2010. I pesonally would love to see kevlar beaded tires, saves tons of weight on car/bicycle tires.

• YamaLink

Posted June 08, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Wonder if kevlar beaded dirt bike tires would make for easier on/off while making a tire's sidewall a bit flexier for more bite.

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 09, 2010 - 01:21 AM

Look how small a bicycle tire is....now, look how much a bicycle tire costs. Upwards of 70 bucks. Thank you kevlar. I spend the grand on ti/carbon exhaust, which is weight that is up high.

Ive got friends that have tried the Tubliss system. Nothing negative so far.

But in a sport where 7 pounds equals a horsepower, just port and polish the exhaust and intake ports.

Oooooorrr....instead of sittin on this forum, get on the road and sweat it out on a bicycle (with those $70 tires) and shed some weight off our fat asses.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Loosing a pound of unsprung weight will improve handling more than losing seven pounds of sprung weight.

• jratcliffe3

Posted June 10, 2010 - 12:46 AM

Rider losing a stone would be much more noticable and cheaper than losing weight off the bike!! Speaking from experience - I could do with losing 30 lbs at 205lbs!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.