426 overheating

24 replies to this topic

Posted July 07, 2010 - 04:44 AM

Melts down? Not!
My question is what do you do when all of the coolant is on the ground? Hm melt down?
Most people
well aware when they are in an overheat scenario. Well maybe not all from the sound of it. Rather have an engine a little hot and have ALL of the coolant still in the radiator than all of it on the ground.
Another person with all the answers and zero
experience. Simply amazing! Good luck with all of your coolant on the ground!

you may have misunderstood him. he said that before checking the cooling system for "blockages" etc which prevent the coolent getting from the engine back to the rad or vice cersa and getting cooled, your just advising people to put evans coolant in and it will not overheat anymore. your statement is somewhat true, it will not over heat... at the RADIATOR. if it is infact blocked however then the coolant will heat up in the motor and that will cause the engine to run extremely hot and might blow up, all the time the coolant in the radiators is cold, as if nothing is wrong :)

• genuiskpy

Posted July 10, 2010 - 12:23 PM

i jus bought a 03 450f and it looks like the head overheated and some of the paint on the head melted and flaked off??? should i worry that it got this hot? isnt there some sort off safety mechanism that kills the motor when it gets to hot???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2010 - 01:19 PM

There's no paint on the head from the factory, and paint doesn't melt when exposed to heat. The cam cover on top of the head is painted, but long before it got hot enough from engine overheating to burn the paint, the engine would have died. Something else happened.

There is no shutoff system for overheating except the one between your ears, which processes info from sensors located in your eyes, nose, and ears. But if the bike runs alright now, doesn't loose coolant, and doesn't boil over when it's kept moving, there's not really anything to worry about.

• genuiskpy

Posted July 10, 2010 - 03:25 PM

little silver flakes are coming off on the head that reveal the head is made up of a darker metallic compound. i take melt back, if its not paint whatever coating it is, its cracking up and bubbling jus a tiny bit to where i scratch at it with my finger nail and it flakes comes off right ..flakes most where the header jions tthe head. they should put a kill sensor on it if it gets to hot!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2010 - 03:51 PM

If there is paint on the head, someone painted it after it was sold new. Since there's no way to know what it was painted with, there's no way to judge whether that's anything to be concerned about outside of it being poor finish work.

The likelihood is that it was kept poorly and/or stored outdoors, and the engine was painted to dress it up for sale.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.