IS my jetting as good as it gets

9 replies to this topic
  • comp182

Posted June 05, 2003 - 05:19 AM

Ok I am running the LarryCo jetting here in Colorado (38PJ 1.5 turns 65PAJ EKP#3 150MJ 160MAJ) (6K-10Kft) This jetting seems to be awsome in comparison to how the dealer had it set up. However since then I have added a power now and an WB R4 exhaust. I am just wondering if that is the rite jetting for the changes I have made.

Part two I am thinking this weekend I will change my timing to YZ timing. What do I do with the Jetting then???

Just a side note that I am not to concerned with but thought that I would throw it out there. My head pipe has turned purple all the way to the heat sheild?? I know of two other guys I ride with, with the same jetting and they are not getting any discoloration on there pipes.

• jwriott

Posted June 05, 2003 - 07:12 AM

I have basically the same jetting but I'm running a 152 main and stock, uncorked exhaust. My plug looks good and the bike runs very well with this jetting.

Did you notice a difference with the Power Now?

I'm trying right now to use the GYRT quiet insert and may have to go a little leaner to get it spot on.

• CuLayTur

Posted June 05, 2003 - 07:24 AM

With the other modifications that you have made (Power now and WB exhaust) do you notice and stubbles or changes from adding the new parts? I think Wicked Crash out here is running a EKQ needle and a PJ 38 with the Power Now and loves the jetting he has come up with.

Curt

• comp182

Posted June 05, 2003 - 08:21 AM

You know what I have to be honest!! I did notice a diffrents with the power now in it. It does pull alot harder on the bottom end. I mean we went to Rampart last week and I had the pleaser of desiding where to put the front end down over the whoops. It use to be one of those just hold on for dear life things. That was alot of fun. So would I tell you to get one. Yes so lond as you are not trying to get rid of a bog all together. It helps but it does not get rid of the off idle bog altogether.

• comp182

Posted June 05, 2003 - 08:27 AM

The Exhaust does seem to let it rev faster. The one thing that I will have to get use to is that there is no back presure now and when going down hills gearing down to use the compresion to slow you down does not work real well. I have to use the brakes a ton more. It is loud though. But the way I figure, it must not be to loud because we saw some Deer about 50 yards away and I reved it up a few times and they just looked at me. Whatever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted June 05, 2003 - 11:40 AM

I spent about four (glorious) days up at Rampart a few years ago in July. If I remember correctly I was EKQ # 2, 38 pilot, 158 main (smallest I had, unfortunately). 150 is pretty small...

EKQ or EKR will be better than the EKP, even down in Denver. Is that near Arvada??

EKR: 5JG-14916-ER
EKQ: 5JG-14916-E1

In my experience the timing change has no real affect on jetting, although it did seem to throw the idle mixture and speed off a bit.

Don't worry about your header.

• comp182

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:29 PM

Hick thanks for the help but let me ask you this. For rampart I would agree that the EKQ would most likely be better. What would happen though if I go to 10-14 thousand feet?? That is where I like to ride but I am not the type of person that is going to change jets half way up the mountain. I am looking for a combo that will work at rampart and 14 thou. Is there such a thing??? If so what??? Thanks for you input.

Arvada is just north west of Denver. Basicily Denver.

• Machster

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:33 PM

This may be way out of my league..but what about that dial a jet thing that I have seen posted. Couldn't you just dial in the proper setting as you went up? Just a thought! :) :D

• Wicked_Crash

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:41 PM

Since it is leaner than the EKP, the EKQ should work above 10,000 ft. I have had really good luck with my jetting. I will hopefully get to test it above 10,000 ft pretty soon. I'm not sure how the EKQ will work for you though since you have an aftermarket exhaust, you might need to stay with a richer needle like the EKP. :)

• Hick

Posted June 05, 2003 - 01:15 PM

Hick thanks for the help but let me ask you this. For rampart I would agree that the EKQ would most likely be better. What would happen though if I go to 10-14 thousand feet?? That is where I like to ride but I am not the type of person that is going to change jets half way up the mountain. I am looking for a combo that will work at rampart and 14 thou. Is there such a thing??? If so what??? Thanks for you input.

Arvada is just north west of Denver. Basicily Denver.

Well, if you wanted to go Rampart and higher, I would say EKR # 2, and try clip # 1.

I think a 38 pilot would work okay also.

Why don't you let us know??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.