throttle body mods

15 replies to this topic
  • kvillektm

Posted June 06, 2010 - 04:15 AM

Has anyone heard of or used injectioneering? In the april issue of DirtBike, they have an article called Project Broad Scope in which they modify a 10 YZ 450F for GPs or worcs style races and say the mod is " essential for any rider who takes the yz offroad". I also found an article on MXA where they did it to the CRF throttle body and had nothing but praise for it. I have read it and checked out Injectioneering web site and am seriously considering sending mine off. His mods make sense to me especially replacing the oval shaped stock pully with a round one and changing the butterfly anglel to be more perpindicular. I already have Ims tank, gytr skidplate and hand guards on my new yz. Thinking of gytr flywheel and Q exhaust yet. Any comments?:thumbsup:

• William1

Posted June 06, 2010 - 12:42 PM

FYI, the same result can be had with a different throttle cam. This is nothing new, been used on carbs for years to change the 'response curve', ie, slow dow the first portion of grip twist and often, progressively speed it up in the upper.

g2ergo.com

• cowboyona426

Posted June 07, 2010 - 01:08 PM

Could you post some pics of your bike with the IMS tank? How was the fit/finish of the tank, any idea how far you could go on a tank of fuel?

• 2milehigh

Posted June 07, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Injectioneering has my throttle body right now and if you can wait a bit I'll post a review when I get it. It is getting modified with the offroad setup.

Getting it back is currently a problem though. Wade seems like nice guy but has had my tb for almost three weeks now and I'm getting pretty tired of staring at my bike instead of riding it. He had some equipment trouble that put him behind schedule but as of now I can't even get a call back. If I don't hear from him by lunch tomorrow I'm going to have to order another tb from Yamaha so I can go racing this weekend. :thumbsup:
If/when I get my tb back it is going to have to be pretty amazing to offset the inconvenience.

cowboyona426-
I have the IMS tank on my bike and have nothing but praise for it. Fit and finish was good. The flange for the fuel pump looks wavy and uneven but mine sealed up with no issues. The only tight spot with the fitment was on the front two lower mounts but I think with time the mounts will loosen. Overall an excellent product and well worth the money. On the stock tank I could only get about 37 miles but the IMS tank should be able to do almost 55 miles. I only had one ride with the new tank before I sent my tb to Wade so I don't have an actual range yet but will post when I do.

kvillektm-
I thought about a flywheel to try and calm down the hit but once I installed a Rekluse I don't think it will be necessary. I know auto clutches aren't for everybody but just wanted to mention that option.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 08, 2010 - 06:08 AM

On the stock tank I could only get about 37 miles but the IMS tank should be able to do almost 55 miles. I only had one ride with the new tank before I sent my tb to Wade so I don't have an actual range yet but will post when I do.

Please do, and some pics would be great too.

• kvillektm

Posted June 08, 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just took the tb off last night and shipped it this morning. It better not take 3 f-ing weeks. I called Wade Monday and talked to him, he said once he gets it, (should be there next Monday) it will only take 3 days, and then shipping back. He talked about 10 mins and said nothing of being behind. I haven't checked the milage yet with the IMS tank. The bike is brand new and I figured if I was going to send the tb off it would be easier to do when the bike is perfectly clean. Only put about a 1/2 hour on it riding on my property. I better not have to wait that long.

• 2milehigh

Posted June 08, 2010 - 03:44 PM

I just took the tb off last night and shipped it this morning. It better not take 3 f-ing weeks. I called Wade Monday and talked to him, he said once he gets it, (should be there next Monday) it will only take 3 days, and then shipping back. He talked about 10 mins and said nothing of being behind. I haven't checked the milage yet with the IMS tank. The bike is brand new and I figured if I was going to send the tb off it would be easier to do when the bike is perfectly clean. Only put about a 1/2 hour on it riding on my property. I better not have to wait that long.

I hope you don't have to wait this long either. I gave up and ordered another tb this morning from Yamaha. It took my entire race budget for the weekend but at least I'll be ready for the NPEG in WY in two weeks.
Factory Connection's central location setup my suspension and it is great. Not the best for cruising trails but it is killer at race pace. Have you had your suspension done yet?

• kvillektm

Posted June 09, 2010 - 05:02 PM

I hope you don't have to wait this long either. I gave up and ordered another tb this morning from Yamaha. It took my entire race budget for the weekend but at least I'll be ready for the NPEG in WY in two weeks.
Factory Connection's central location setup my suspension and it is great. Not the best for cruising trails but it is killer at race pace. Have you had your suspension done yet?

I was thinking of trying FC and was wondering about the service of their central location, Oaklahoma isn't it? Guys I will get some pics up as soon as I get my tb back, I will give him 2 weeks max from when he receives it. The bike I bought has some graphics from my dealer on the tank/shrouds (Obermeyer Yamaha, Charlie Mullins sponsor) and some factory effex numer backgrounds with no numbers. It looks sweet, but is in about 30 or so pieces waiting for the tb. More to come.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2milehigh

Posted June 10, 2010 - 05:56 PM

The service at the central location is great and the guy you talk to is really personable and helpful. The turnaround was quick, I think it mailed out the same day it got there. This is the second set that FC has done for me but the first one that was done at the central.
I just picked up my new tb from the dealer, OUCH. At least I can ride this weekend.

I'll try and get some pics this weekend also.

• kawboy388

Posted June 10, 2010 - 10:04 PM

You two should have done a bit of searching around on what a "nice guy" Wade Wilcox is, Vital MX and MotoTalk would be a good place to start. He's got quite a few other rider's and teams parts sitting around, and they have been waiting a lot longer than you two.

• 2milehigh

Posted June 12, 2010 - 05:48 AM

I got a call from Wade late last night letting me know that my tb was on its way and I should see it today by lunch time. I even got a tracking number to validate what he had said. He was apologetic for the delay and explained how he had been dealing with some health issues. The only problem is that I had already installed the new tb but once I explained the situation to Wade he offered to make everything right which is very promising. I should have the new tb on by this afternoon and will post my experience/thoughts later tonight.

Also, if anyone removes their tb be careful not to bump the tps as it is only held in with one screw and can easily be knocked out of position.

• kvillektm

Posted June 13, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Where were you a week ago. Yeah, I looked around a little to late, but ups was able to stop shipment and turn my tb around. I will get it back this week, better to only be out the cost of shippping than a new tb. Learned my lesson.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 13, 2010 - 04:31 PM

I've had mine done on my 2010. had a yamaha suspension kit put in on the forks and rear. It made a really big difference on how it handles.

It is real plush and soft now and stays right in the ruts and takes all the breaking bumps no matter how big and deep they are.

• Old School Mxer

Posted August 02, 2010 - 02:11 PM

I got a call from Wade late last night letting me know that my tb was on its way and I should see it today by lunch time. I even got a tracking number to validate what he had said. He was apologetic for the delay and explained how he had been dealing with some health issues. The only problem is that I had already installed the new tb but once I explained the situation to Wade he offered to make everything right which is very promising. I should have the new tb on by this afternoon and will post my experience/thoughts later tonight.

Also, if anyone removes their tb be careful not to bump the tps as it is only held in with one screw and can easily be knocked out of position.

How do you like the throttle body? Does it help with starting and flame-outs?

• 2milehigh

Posted August 02, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Sorry for not posting a report on the TB sooner, I thought this thread had been lost when TT switched back to the old format.

The throttle body is excellent and performs as expected. I did experience far fewer flameouts and reduced them further with modified FI/IG maps. Starting is about the same. You need to be against the compression stroke and blip the gas as you kick for it to fire. There is a definite technique as anyone else who tries my bike can't start it easily.
I had the offroad setup done and have put over 50hrs on it at altitudes ranging from 2k up to 13k feet above sea level and it hasn't had an issue. Nice smooth roll on power that is very usable and not abrupt and tiring like the stock hit. It is more responsive than a carb but very controllable and is always perfectly jetted.
Now for the bad news. Still working on squaring up with Wade after he had my TB for so long. If I had it to do again I don't think the performance gain was worth the headache or the extra costs incurred. The improved performance I gained from the TB does not outweigh the three plus weeks that the bike wasn't rideable.

• 92db

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:46 PM

Still working on squaring up with Wade after he had my TB for so long. If I had it to do again I don't think the performance gain was worth the headache or the extra costs incurred. The improved performance I gained from the TB does not outweigh the three plus weeks that the bike wasn't rideable.

If I hear anyone who is looking for a used YZ450F throttle body I will tell them I know where to get one.

Even if you don't get your money back for your second throttle body the delay caused you to buy at least you're doing a lot better than this poor guy http://www.vitalmx.c...art-Two,1018302

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.