07 wr 450 cam suggestion

15 replies to this topic
  • billy the kidd

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:05 PM

first off, i have owned my 07 for about six months and love the bike,, it has the throttle stop fixed,fmf pipe,air box opened,re jetted, ais removed and the grey wire removed,,

my question is how do i get just a little more out of it,, would cams help,if so witch ones, also would a head pipe help , as i am running the stock piece,, if cams are the answer, what will the end cost to the motor be,, by that i mean does it take a toll on the engine(is it hard on it)?, and how much power gains could i expect with the cams.

thanks in advance for any response

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 13, 2010 - 10:52 PM

Keep in mind the stock header is barely enough for the stock set up. You will not realize the full gain from cams if you do not get a larger diameter header. YZ headers are popular upgrades and you can usually get them at a reasonable price off of ebay or something.

As far as the cams are concerned the '06 YZ cams seem to be the most popular choice. Because of the timing of these cams, they dump more compression than the stock WR cams and e-start can be more difficult...basically its something you have to tune around. Hotcams has a WR specific cam that gives gains without affecting the e-start.

• rcmx67

Posted October 05, 2010 - 12:18 AM

So, you use an 06 exhaust cam on an 07 - 08 WR 450?

• erickdj

Posted October 05, 2010 - 10:01 AM

So, you use an 06 exhaust cam on an 07 - 08 WR 450?

yes, it will fit 07+ WR's. Both cams fit, not just the exhaust cam. 06-09 YZ cams are a direct fit to 07+ WR's, with 06 yz cams being the preferred choice.

• rcmx67

Posted October 05, 2010 - 11:34 AM

Are the hotcams as good. Do they deliver as much of a power increase. It looks like they are pretty inexpensive if bought in a set.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 06, 2010 - 03:38 PM

I would use hotcams unless you like to kick start the bike.....:smirk:

Hey Erik, how's the bike working?

• rcmx67

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:44 PM

I take it you have first hand experience wiht the YZ cams and the starting issue.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 07, 2010 - 02:10 PM

I take it you have first hand experience wiht the YZ cams and the starting issue.

Yes he does :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcmx67

Posted October 07, 2010 - 06:55 PM

I didn't buy a WR to kickstart it. :smirk:

• erickdj

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:27 PM

I would use hotcams unless you like to kick start the bike.....:smirk:

Hey Erik, how's the bike working?

Hey Don,

the bike is working great, the motor took a turn for the better with the cams, more power everywhere in the rev range. It didn't take me very long to figure out an e-start routine that works 99.9% of the time, I've pretty much got it down nearly perfect. 9 times out of 10 if I kickstart the bike it is by choice, I've seen people having more trouble e-starting their bikes due to poor jetting than I have trouble e-starting because of the cams. I realize I got lucky:banana:, most other people have severe issues e-starting their bikes with the yz cams.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:42 AM

No doubt, the performance gain with the YZ cams was evident as well as awesome:thumbsup:

• rcmx67

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:06 PM

I wish I could get a firsthand report on how the hotcams work or if they work as well as the YZ cams. I sure don't want to get into a starting dilemma.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 09, 2010 - 03:13 PM

I wish I could get a firsthand report on how the hotcams work or if they work as well as the YZ cams. I sure don't want to get into a starting dilemma.

I spoke directly with Hotcams tech regarding my dilemma with the OEM YZ cams and my starting problem and they knew before I even finished explaining that I was having the issues because of the different de-comp pin on the YZ cams... If I remember correctly, they claimed that their stage II cams were close in terms of timing and lobe shape to the YZ cams and guaranteed that the bike would start as designed... you can send hotcams an e-mail and they'll reply back quickly. They may be biased but they will explain to you why the OEM YZ cams have the potential to cause e-start problems... they will also help you choose a cam based on your wishes.

• tribalbc

Posted October 09, 2010 - 06:21 PM

I'm sure the hotcams will work just fine. They have a shorter decompression pin than the YZ's, that is the source of the problem.
I have YZ cams and don't use the estart much, I've found if you turn your fuel screw about 1 turn rcher than optimum it estarts fairly well, or, if you go for optimum fuel screw setting you better not b in a rush :smirk:
I find the drill is two to three squirts of throttle, then hotstart and estart.
It's easier to kickstart with the YZ cams though because of the longer pin and bigger compression dump.

• rcmx67

Posted October 10, 2010 - 10:26 PM

One thing I really don't want to loose is my low end. Dirt Bike Mag dynoed (spelling?) all of the 20`0 bikes and the WR has just about the best torque/HP through the midrange. It just signs off early. Really easy 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are really nice to have on tap when the going gets tough. This thing pulls up easier than my 2t 250.

Anyways, I will have to call Hotcams again.

• CanadianWR450

Posted October 12, 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have the hotcam's in my 04.
No starting issues, and big power increase, but not in a woods friendly manner......(for me anyway)

Bike had stock header with FMF Ti PowerCore, Grey Wire was done, air box mods, and Jd Jetting with 14/51 gearing.

For me, the bike was way to hyper, and too "YZ ish" for me. Not woods friendly, and it was a all or nothing kinda deal. It hit hard, and it hit early, and all at once.

The top end needed to be refreshed anyway, so I went with a Athena 480 kit, and added a FMF SS Megabomb, and dropped the gearing to 14/48 and now I LOOOOVE it!

Massive bottom end tourque, the gears are spaced out much better for me, and it puts the power to the ground much better. The power curve went from instant and all at once to just endless, and smooth. There is no such thing as a wrong gear.

The best comparison I have for it (power delivery wise) is like a XR 600 on a crash diet and serious steroids

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.