New WR450 starter

3 replies to this topic
  • tchristiansen1953

Posted April 13, 2010 - 01:54 PM

I just purchased a "New" WR450, (after years on a TT500) actually an 07 model year but new out of the crate at the dealer. Got what I thought was a good deal Out the door, taxes, set up etc $5100. Any way I got it home & the battery seemed dead, it wouldn't turn the bike over. I called the dealer & they told me that the starter doesn't have enought power to turn over a new engine & I'll have to kick it (no problem, worked fine) untill the motor gets broken in.
Is this normal? I've never heard of this before. Anyone else have this happen?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 13, 2010 - 02:02 PM

the dealer told me that the starter doesn't have enought power to turn over a new engine & I'll have to kick it

:lol: Right

It has nothing to do with the battery having sat for 3 years :):lol:

Take the battery in and have them give you a NEW one :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggletooth

Posted April 13, 2010 - 04:22 PM

I would go with Coops advice. Not e-starting just because "its new" is BS.

BTW, My bike, not often but sometimes, gets stuck in the compression stroke when e-starting. This is not a weak battery problem, I guess more of an auto decompression problem. This only happends (seldomly) if the e-start is pushed while the piston is at or is just starting the compression stroke.

No big deal, I just get it past the commpression stroke and press the button again then all is fine. There are a couple of methods for doing this, such as nudging the kick starter to get the piston just past TDC. All I normaly do is rock the bike back a couple of inches while its in gear. S/T

• tchristiansen1953

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:12 PM

Thanks to both you guys. I've never heard of a "new" engine not being turned over by the starter, but since I've been kicking my TT for so many years the magic button is new to me. I guess I'll put the honus back on the dealer & get a new battery (at no charge or the s--- will fly
Thanks again

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.