05 450 versus 02 426

3 replies to this topic
  • flapwick

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:15 AM

How much better is the 05 450 than my 02 426? I don't have alot of extra money,but I can sell my bike and add about 500-600 dollars and get an 05 that appears to be in very good shape.I know the 06 450 is the way to go ,but I just can't get up the 1500 dollars or so I would need for an 06.So....I ride strictly motocross,novice vet speed(not real fast,but I'm clearing doubles and stuff),and God willing,I'll be doing this for awhile. I always seem to find out the pro's and con's AFTER I make a buying move,so I'm trying to gather the info now. I really love my 426,but I'm about to put some money into revalving and tweaking the suspension,and I thought I might be better off putting that money into this 05 450 I'm looking at.I would really appreciate your knowledgeable input.Thanks!!

• CanadianWR450

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:26 AM

If you ride ONLY Motocross, I'd be looking for a YZ, not a WR......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2in2out

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:46 AM

If you ride ONLY Motocross, I'd be looking for a YZ, not a WR......

+1 on that. Plus they are a dime-a-dozen. 2007's going under $3k with all the mods/bling done already.

Although, I got my previous 426 set-up so well it'd smoke some YZ's. Wouldn't have sold it if I could have gotten E-start on it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2010 - 12:26 PM

You will find the two bikes quite different. The '05 is lighter and has much improved suspension, but the power was detuned from the levels the '03/'04 were built to. That's in the ignition, and a CDI from an '04 (or a Dyna Tek, Vertex, etc.) will fix that. Probably is worth at least the $5-600 you're talking about, but the 426 is still a pretty good ride.

I'd recommend you ride one before you settle on it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.