2004 Yamaha WR450 Info Now Posted On Yamaha Website

10 replies to this topic
  • basicblues

Posted June 04, 2003 - 06:03 PM

http://www.yamaha-mo...&cid=28&mid=210

New for 2004:

All-new, lightweight 46mm inverted Kayaba cartridge fork features 11.8" of travel with compression and rebound damping adjustability. Special coating on fork reduces stiction and also gives “factory” appearance.

New lightweight aluminum kickstand flips up 20° higher for less interference with rider.

Rear shock refinements include improved linkage for greater durability.

New front and rear suspension settings for greater comfort.

Light-weight front and rear calipers with aluminum pistons and revised front master cylinder, combined with 250mm fully floating front and 245mm rear disc, deliver strong stopping power with progressive control and feel.

• The_Blue_One

Posted June 04, 2003 - 06:09 PM

Not many changes. Wonder why it didn't get the larger forks? :)

• SBG

Posted June 04, 2003 - 06:18 PM

I posted my prediction about the new WR's and mentioned that the WR's wouldn't get the 48mm fork. The reason IMO, they don't need to be as rigid as the MX fork, and the other reason (probably the main reason) is to get rid of old stock from the warehouse.

• Beta_Man

Posted June 04, 2003 - 06:39 PM

I wanted to see what the new kickstand looked like but in all the pictures the kickstand was missing. :)

• SPUTTER

Posted June 05, 2003 - 03:39 AM

Re: changes
The biggest (and most important) change isn't mentioned, that is, the larger contact area at the flywheel-crankshaft taper junction. A company like Yamaha would rather introduce a new model than admit to a problem with a same-year design change. Hopefully, the benefit will be the much earlier release of the 04 models to the public. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaindrive

Posted June 05, 2003 - 03:51 AM

What a disappointment :D! Yamaha lets down it's dual-sport wanna-be-customers yet again... "Sianara, Blue!" :D Not only will I NOT be buying a useless (in communist-Iowa) WR450 next year, but, just for spite, my son will be riding a green or red 85cc instead of a Blue one, as well!

Yamaha should take note of the abysmal sales of WR's here... The local dealer won't even order any more (this year or next) he says. The WR450 he got in January is still sitting forlornly on his floor. Meanwhile, he can't get DRZ's fast enough! He is frustrated 'cause so many guys WANT the WR (myself included) until they find out about the stinkin' DOT's recent seizures, so they buy a DRZ or nothing at all.

While I am on a roll; I would like to further slam Yam's "marketing geniuses :snore:" for their foolish failure to compete in the large and ever-growing 65cc class. Nothing but KawaZukis and KTMs in that entire market... Duh!! Where do they think loyal customers come from?!!

Iowa cannot be the only place where a "too-decked-out-to-race yet no-longer-dual-sportable" bike like the WR is useless. We have no mountains, deserts, or trails. Is it really asking too much for a serious Blue D.S.? :)

• jwriott

Posted June 05, 2003 - 04:38 AM

Hey Chaindrive, you need to look at these KTM450 EXC models they have at Motorcycle Brokers. The thing comes with everything needed and may pass Iowa's stupid regulations.
KTM Factory Dualsport

• brentcarl84

Posted June 05, 2003 - 05:02 AM

The 2004 WR450 doesn't sound a whole lot different than my 2003 WR450. I haven't had any problems with it. What about the duel-sport. Can I make my 2003 WR450 into a duel-sport? I want something for on-road use and can't really afford another bike. And how do you start a new topic? Thanks.

Carl

2003 WR450

• Machster

Posted June 05, 2003 - 05:04 AM

Carl,
A lot of people do make them d/s. and as far as starting a new post, click on post button ! :) :D

• SPUTTER

Posted June 05, 2003 - 07:07 AM

chaindrive,
If you have no mountains, deserts or trails, why do you need or want a DP? :)

• endurodog

Posted June 05, 2003 - 09:47 AM

Chain, what is required out there for dual sporting a bike like the WR. Like what does the DRZ have that the WR doesn't, silly question I know but I really don't know. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.