Indian Dunes

10 replies to this topic
  • Machster

Posted June 04, 2003 - 05:05 PM

I was looking through some old pics of my youth, and was wondering if anyone remembers Indian Dunes. My grandfather worked there for years, and I spent almost my entire youth riding there(from 6 to 18!) I would love to hear some "war stories" about the place. I can remember watching Jeff Ward on mini's there!..aaaaah the good ol days! :D :)

• Dan_from_HB

Posted June 04, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, I definitely recall Indian Dunes. Rode two Dirt Diggers GP's there, and raced the car (AMSA class "S") there a couple times back in '80 and '81. As I recall, Kenny Zahrt and Jim Connolly practically owned the place, and a number of TV episodes and feature length films were shot there.
Dan

• wrkaholic

Posted June 04, 2003 - 08:51 PM

Yea, I used to go there when I was a kid. They show it on the film, "a day in the dirt". They used to rent dirt bikes there. Before I even had mine, my brother, my cousin, and I used to beg my grandfather to take us there. He used to rent three bikes for us and go back into his car and go to sleep. We used to have a blast. Helmet and tennis shoes and off we went.

• Taffy

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:38 AM

indiana dunes!

remember him well! raiders of the lost ark!
:D :) :D :D

Taffy

• Machster

Posted June 05, 2003 - 02:45 AM

My grandfather was head of security there from 1973 to 1981. It was a shame to see it closed. I drive by there every once in awhile and see it is still there..all weed covered, but you can still see the International track from the road. The closing of the place was a prime example of over litigious people who would get stupid, hurt themselves, and blame the park. ...oh well..I still have the memories... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted June 05, 2003 - 04:43 AM

I live about 8 miles from the old Dunes site and rode there in the 70's. When it was used for the film set of China Beach in 80's I use to look for the back riding area trails while watching the show. Memories :)

• Machster

Posted June 05, 2003 - 04:49 AM

I remember when they filmed "Baa Baa Black sheep" there. We used to live at the end of the runway on the Travel Village side. Met the entire cast, got to check out the F4u Corsairs..pretty cool growin up. I was pretty popular in high school, got all my mx friends for free, and we used to work the weekends as ticket takers, or flaggers for AME and CRC. I am always coming across old movies or tv shows that used to film out there..especially Chips, and The Incredible Hulk. I think they still do alot of filming out there. :) :D

• WRMike250f

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:23 PM

I grew up in Agoura near Thousand Oaks. Use to go to Indian Dunes all the time.

Here's one for ya, you all remember Munce? if thats how you spell it. It was just off the 23 freeway from Thousand Oaks to Simi Valley and Morpark. I think I must have been about four years old when they closed that place.

Sheesh 30 years ago. :)

• Machster

Posted June 05, 2003 - 12:31 PM

I sure do!.Pity they closed all the great old tracks..like the dunes..saddleback..etc etc. Someone should try to lease the land from Newhall Land & farming, and re-open the place. Last I heard, it was slated for homes, but some damn pre-historic fish shut down the plan. I actually remember seeing the plans they had to dam up the Santa Clara river and make a lake just for racing speedboats. But that damn fish ...

• ETP

Posted June 05, 2003 - 02:13 PM

Remember Hope Town in Simi?

• shipe

Posted June 10, 2003 - 07:16 PM

holy cow, indian dunes was my first motocross race ever on a 1982 yz 80 hell ya.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.