how much should I offer?

8 replies to this topic
  • rubbersdown

Posted April 12, 2010 - 01:47 PM

have a guy whose 2006 yz450f blew up yesterday and he wants to get rid of it asap. He hasnt tore it down but its seized so my best guess is it needs a new top end and a new bottom end. The suspension also needs to be rebuilt. Whats a good price for this bike?

• KJ790

Posted April 12, 2010 - 01:52 PM

I'd say $900-$1000. I would assume the worst case scenario for the engine damage, anything better would be just a bonus.

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2010 - 02:06 PM

Unspecified damage to the engine...

Worn out suspension...

So, what is it? A beat up set of wheels and a pipe? $500 is where I'd start.

• KJ790

Posted April 12, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Here's how I would figure it. The engine is worthless. The wheels will get you around $400 on ebay if they are in alright condition. The frame may fetch you $200 on ebay. The suspension will cost around $150 to rebuild, but once rebuilt should fetch around $300 for the forks and shock. So I would call the suspension worth $150 as is. Exhaust will get you around $50 if it's in good condition. Subframe will get you $100. Seat, gas tank, and scratched up plastic will get you around $100. Radiators will get you around $100 if they are in good shape. If you are lucky you will be able to get $100 out of what is left. Using those approximations the total is only worth $1100. If you don't want to lose money on it, I would stick with around $900 if you really want it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ohioryder

Posted April 12, 2010 - 03:23 PM

$500-$800 based on overall condition. I would stay closer to $500. You dont know what all you will encounter fixing it up. Also there are a lot of 05-07 yz450 out there anywhere from $2000-2700 that arent selling. I know a few guys with 06 yz450, 05 crf450, 07 yz450 and they havent had any interest on their bikes listed at $2600, $3000, and $2800 for several months now.

• sic

Posted April 12, 2010 - 10:29 PM

Whats a good price for this bike?

don't rebuild it & don't plan to ever ride it. otherwise you will sink money into it and then it will just blow up again. seems that its very difficult to rebuild a grenaded 4-stroke if you are not a pro engine builder. a unseen cracked case, debris in oil feeds, bent cam, etc. can all reward you with a 2nd explosion. and then you will just give up on it.

its only worth what you can part it out on Ebay for. figure 1/10th of that value to make it worth your efforts.

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 12, 2010 - 10:47 PM

I'd start at 500

• Family Man

Posted April 12, 2010 - 10:49 PM

Not worth your time. Once you factor labor and materials Your better off going for a working bike or even a new one.

• rubbersdown

Posted April 13, 2010 - 07:05 AM

Not worth your time. Once you factor labor and materials Your better off going for a working bike or even a new one.

Its not really the bike I need. I ride a 2006 crf450r. I just like to work on bikes. I buy them fix them and sell them for a small profit (not really for the money, I just like working on stuff). I made a deal with the guy for $650. So I figure if I open the motor and its just the piston or even piston and crank ill be pretty good cuz thats an easy fix for me and I can do both crank and piston for about $375 and have a $1000 into a newly rebuilt bike. But if the head is toast its probably not worth it to fix and Ill just part it out. the bike has aftermarket suspension, wheels, pipe and all that stuff so I should still make money even parting it out.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.