Which TC Mount for Cycra Pro Bend?

7 replies to this topic
  • MPHorvat

Posted April 12, 2010 - 12:31 PM

I need handguards and the consensus seems to be Cycra Pro Bend. However, I see these "Racer Pack" bundles that attache to the Triple Clamp in two varieties: front-mount and side-mount. Which is appropriate for an 05 WR450F? TIA, Mark

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 12, 2010 - 04:50 PM

You may want to consider the u-mount. I've had two sets of Cycras on my bikes. Both of them had side triple clamp mounts and my experience was that the mounts bend very easily with a side impact. I switched to the u-clamps and never bent them again. Yes they do take some room on the handlebar but they're much more robust than the tc mounts. Just my .02

• bg10459

Posted April 12, 2010 - 09:41 PM

I'll second the u-clamp. I bent 3 sets of triple clamp mounts before I switched to the u-clamp and haven't had any problems since.
BTW, Yamahas use side mount because that's the way the pinch bolts go. I think Hondas use front mount.

• mjslim

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'll second the u-clamp. I bent 3 sets of triple clamp mounts before I switched to the u-clamp and haven't had any problems since.
BTW, Yamahas use side mount because that's the way the pinch bolts go. I think Hondas use front mount.

When you refer to the "u-clamp" are you talking about the original design that clamps only to the handlebar itself?

If so, I will also say they do not bend easily, due to the fact that the clamping attachment will typically slip in a crash, causing the handguard to rotate out of position. It may be wise to leave them a little loose, just like the mx guys used to do with the clutch and front brake perches before the advent of break away levers. Be sure to carry some allen wrenches when you ride so you can straighten them back out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted April 13, 2010 - 11:16 AM

The U-clamp does mount directly to the bars, but I think the original design was a straight clamp off the bars, but it got in the way of control cables. Then they came out with the right fit clamps, followed by the triple clamp mounts, the U-clamps, solution mount and finally the center reach mount.
Page 23 has pics of all their current mounts - http://www.cycraraci...g-OPTIMIZED.pdf :thumbsup:

• mjslim

Posted April 13, 2010 - 11:45 AM

After looking at the catalog, looks like I have the older "right fit" style clamps. Does anyone know if the u-clamps are interchangeable with the right fits?

• bg10459

Posted April 13, 2010 - 04:44 PM

I'm pretty sure all the pro-bend bars are the same (except the CRM's), so you should be able to just switch to the U-clamp. I had no problem going from triple clamp mounts to the U-clamp.

• falcon_az

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:51 PM

I have the triple clamp mount and don't like it, recommend trying a different mount. I had to drill the bar that mounts to the triple clamp bracket. Mounting was PITA... but... I really like Cycra. I have Acerbis on the WR250 and don't like them as much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.