Lowering '04 KDX 220

5 replies to this topic
  • makKX250

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

A friend who is a little bit vertically challenged needs to lower his '04 KDX a 1-2 inches. He has already shaved the seat down to almost FMX level. He is going to try a lowering link for the rear but we have no clue how to do the forks. Does anyone have any information or a "how to" document on the correct way to lower the forks? I don't want "just remove the spacer" or "just cut the springs" as I don't see that as the correct way to do it. But maybe I'm wrong...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ski Pro 3

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Just slide the forks up into the triple clamps higher. If they hit the bars, get offset bar mounts.

• Slick_Nick

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Yup. Only way to lower forks is slide them up into the clamps.

• makKX250

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

There is a way to lower forks by modifying the internals. I'm asking if anyone has done that with a KDX and would want to share the information.

I guess I should have posted this in the suspension forum. My bad. :thumbsup:

• Slick_Nick

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

You can remove your preload spacers. I just cut mine down to get less preload, but removing them altogether would work too I suppose.

• SteveWR450F

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

You could send to suspension shop and they you use a stronger spring but then cut it down to lower forks. I did this once on my first bike. Suspension can become harsh if your not careful.

I would really recommend - lowering link in rear plus move up forks in the front. That should be good. Then just a lot of seat time. If he is anything like most of us, once you get more seat time the bike does not seem so big.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Sweet KX by nicko-31

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

start up after restoration by NzJohny

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

sound in the intake by big man bren

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

91 kx250 reed cage compatibility by brewsntattoos

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

KX250 Top End by Steffen

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.