Problem With Starting 07 450

3 replies to this topic
  • jpancelli

Posted April 12, 2010 - 07:55 AM

I just recentley got an 07 yz450f for 3200, here is some background on it;
It was professionaly maintianined by a head mechanic at a yamaha dealer, it only has about 30 hours on it. I have heard people talk about sucking sand into the breahter hose and I'm worried considering I was riding in sandy areas this weekend.
The problem began when I was riding yesterday, The bike was running regularly, I shut it off and let it cool for a little, then went to start it again and nothing happened. It backfires and smoke comes out of the exhaust when I kick it 10+ times. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start with diagnostics? PS when I went to bumb start it every component in the engine was running smoothly, sounded like no spark or potentially a fouled plug? dont know much about that aspect of 450s. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• emrich-55

Posted April 12, 2010 - 06:57 PM

I just had the same problem with my 09 450, i went to start it after i stalled it and it woulnt start. Turned out that my timing chain jumped a couple links. I would check your valve clearance. Do the simple things first like check spark and make sure your getting fuel and if your getting those 2 things than its valve clerance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jpancelli

Posted April 13, 2010 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for your input. When the timing chains jump does that mean I have to adjust the tensioner? Is that a complicated procedure? Also will that alter my valve adjustments?
Thanks
-John Pancelli

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2010 - 10:01 AM

The tensioner is entirely automatic; no adjustment. Valve adjustment does not depend at all on chain tension or timing.

If the timing chain jumps, it is normally due to one of two things:

• Cam seizure, caused in turn by improper assembly/torque od the cam caps or a lack of lubrication, or
  • Binding/kinking links in the chain itself, which interferes with the operation of the tensioner.

If the chain jumped, replace the chain and the tensioner regardless of the cause.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.