2010 tyre shredder

7 replies to this topic
  • fraser

Posted April 12, 2010 - 02:32 AM

Ok, so apart from running in my bike has done one race meeting and a practise day last saturday. I was probably on track for an hour, maybe slightly more at on Sat. Track was pretty hardpack. The bike came stock with pirellis.
All the knobs on the right hand side of the tyre are destroyed, completely eaten away.
I'm hoping this was down to a low quality tyre on there, but was just wondering how other people are doing tyre wear wise?

• motojase316

Posted April 12, 2010 - 02:46 AM

I ride mostly Hard pack tracks on my 2010 and have regular tyre wear. the odd torn knob but nothing like you describe.

• TokioMX

Posted April 12, 2010 - 06:20 AM

Mine came with Dunlop, and now have Pirelli Mid-Hards. They both wore out just fine.

By the way, I'm surprised it came stock with Pirelli tires. I like Pirelli tires because they seems like don't ware or tear off as fast on 450 as Japanese bland. :thumbsup:

• crf450319

Posted April 12, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Years ago I put a brand new Dunlop D756 on my '00 CR 250R, then I went to a hard pack track and literally destroyed the tire in 20 minutes. I learned my lesson, and now only run hard pack tires. For the terrain out here, it doesn't pay to run anything else. Last year I was running Dunlop D739's and was running them for 20/21 hours (hour meter), after 17 hours they were pretty much done but I'd squeeze a little more time out of them.

Anyway, you're either looking at a faulty tire, or maybe one that's not suited to the terrain you're riding ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto278

Posted April 12, 2010 - 06:37 PM

on yamaha's site dont they list the bike comes with dunlops? maybe thats just here in the us? not sure bout europe or elsewhere i guess.

• mediumfast

Posted April 12, 2010 - 07:07 PM

on yamaha's site dont they list the bike comes with dunlops? maybe thats just here in the us? not sure bout europe or elsewhere i guess.

There's different specs for different markets. That's why Europe and Australia come with black rims. Not sure why they do it.....in the end it's probably about money....

• Beanb1

Posted April 13, 2010 - 06:08 AM

definitely could be the tire compound and track soil. But also could be loose chain. I had this problem with the Honda last year. When the chain was too loose, it hit the sides of the tire and knobs got torn-off. I haven't heard Yamaha having this problem yet. BUT!!

• moto278

Posted April 13, 2010 - 05:54 PM

i had read about the rims, but i didnt know about the tires as well. interesting. and it probably is all about the money

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.