Colorado Thumper Trip

49 replies to this topic
  • mikeolichney

Posted January 11, 2001 - 10:53 PM

Tom N's post says 6 replies but only shows two. Something is wrong so let's try again. Anybody up for a trip to ride in Colorado in July though September? I have lodging in Crested Butte that could accomodate up to 26 people. Prices would be per room, not per person:

*$20/night for a private room with queen bed and full private bath, one or two people.

*$30/night for a private room with king bed, fireplace, queen hide-a-bed and full private bath, one to four people.

I need to rent at least 6 rooms to make it work. I assume families OK. No pets. This is very deluxe lodging. See the website at

CB has alot of other things to do, good nightlife and restaraunts. Two rides/skill levels could be organized. If you are interested, please post:
1. Possible dates that work for you.
2. Rooms that you would want
3. if wife/girlfriend/kids coming.
4. Type of riding you like, Desert (Hartmanss Rocks) difficult high alpine, or scenic jeep road. A large amount of all this.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 11, 2001 - 12:05 PM

That sounds really cool to me. We need to firm up dates pretty soon I would imagine.

Roostn in Denver
00 426F

• flyinguitars

Posted January 11, 2001 - 12:25 PM

Can I bring a friend with an RM? Or is this thumpers only?

• Hick

Posted January 11, 2001 - 12:27 PM

Originally posted by mikeolichney:
Tom N's post says 6 replies but only shows two.

Hit Ctrl-R to reload newer page w/ 6 replies instead of reading old page from cache.

BTW I might be interested in this trip, I have a good friend that lives in Denver. I’d vote for late summer like August, difficult & long high alpine trails.

• Tom_N

Posted January 11, 2001 - 01:12 PM

I was just in the other folder and could see the six replies, but there must be some sort of a problem. There were 3 or 4 guys interested. Looked like two for sure in Oklahoma. This is great...

What dates are good for weather? I am available any weekend. All I need is about a weeks notice to get the Friday and Monday thing off.. If everyone could take a Friday and a Monday it allows for a 4 day weekend without burning up to much vacation time.

I was thinking if I leave Thursday night late, I can get there on a Friday morning and stay until Monday morning which would allow ride time on Friday Saturday and Sunday? As for ride type, I will try anthing as I am a rookie :))

Tom N.

• Tom_N

Posted January 11, 2001 - 01:16 PM

2smokers should probably be allowed to come, but we reserve the right give them tons of $#^$ for their choice of ride.. :) Some thought to spark arrestor requirements should be given though.

Originally posted by flyinguitars:
Can I bring a friend with an RM? Or is this thumpers only?

• okie426

Posted January 11, 2001 - 07:03 PM

I'm still in. Should be 2 for sure maybe 2 others. the 4day weekend would work great. Anytime, weather permitting, is good for me.

• mikeolichney

Posted January 12, 2001 - 07:50 AM

Tom N, can you organize this and collect the money? Leaglly I cannot rent by the room, only B&Bs can do that up there. I must rent to a group, and receive a single check for payment. If OK, please contact me at There are 5 queen bed rooms and two king bed rooms available. July 1-7 and July 27-Aug 1 are already rented. Sometime in August is better for weather and lower streams, even Labor day would work and help with vacation time problems. Warning: this is more headache than you might expect. I have rented a house in Moab for spring and it is hell getting people to commit and cough up money.

• Tom_N

Posted January 12, 2001 - 12:48 PM

I can to that, and I can also relate to the work that is involved. I think everyone here that would be involved is going to help me out and make this easy. You have handled the hard part thus supplying the accomodations.. The toughest part will be deciding on a date. Aug gives us plenty of time to get it together but I hope I still have a running bike then.. I got my eye on the new 426 in a crate.. I just have to sell my 98.. Mike, I will e-mail you in just a min.

Warning: this is more headache than you might expect. I have rented a house in Moab for spring and it is hell getting people to commit and cough up money.[/B][/QUOTE]

• sleekfreak

Posted January 12, 2001 - 01:24 PM

You guys don't mind if I bring my wife do ya? She rides a little 225 but it is a 4-stroke. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_N

Posted January 12, 2001 - 01:45 PM

More people the better! Besides, she will prob. smoke me... I ride my 400 in the peewee class when they let me.. I am going to contact Mikeolichney to work out some of the details and then I will e-mail everyone that has posted an intrest.

Originally posted by sleekfreak:
You guys don't mind if I bring my wife do ya? She rides a little 225 but it is a 4-stroke. :)

• blbainb

Posted January 12, 2001 - 08:29 PM

I'm interested also. The only possible problem is that I race at a local track and don't know the schedule yet. Also, some other details: is a spark arrester a requirement? (I'd have to buy one). Also, what's the approximate altitude - I'd probably rejet if there is a big change from mine (5000').

• mikeolichney

Posted January 13, 2001 - 08:43 AM

Altitude varies from 8000ft to 12000ft, unless we go to Hartmanns rocks, which is high desert at 7000 ft. I see alot of people without spark arrestors, and I have never been stopped by a ranger up there (I have one). I never really understood how a four stroke could cause a fire. Its up to you.

• Tom_N

Posted January 16, 2001 - 01:54 PM

Still planing to make this trip, I got some info from Mikeolinchney on the condo and good dates to ride up there. I will soon e-mail everyone who has posted an intrest with some dates and details. If your e-mail address is not listed with your membership to this board or is would like it to go to a different one please post it for me.

If you have dates in August that might be better then please post them, otherwise I will just pick a weekend. Its far enough out for me so I can go any time. I am looking at doing a 4 day type of trip. I am in KS and about 12 hours away. I planned to leave here on a Thursday night around midnight so I could arrive around noon on Friday then depart Monday morning. That would allow for riding on Friday Sat and Sunday. For those that have to drive in, it can give you an idea of the plan. If there are any probs or suggestions please let me know.
Tom N.
E-mail at
Let's go Thumpin!!!

• Tom_N

Posted January 19, 2001 - 05:13 AM

I will be contacting everyone who posted soon. A few of you posted an interest but do not have an e-mail address listed. If you are still interested and want to be contacted with info on all the details please e-mail me at or

Looks like August!!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 12:07 PM

Tom N--- PLease send me some info.... I'd be interested in how much work this would be. Are you planning to rent bikes or suppl your own. How doe you go about shipping a bike or would it be simpler to trailer my own...Thanks

• Bryan

Posted January 21, 2001 - 09:17 AM

Hey guys. Crested Butte is the BOMB!

Best riding anywhere.

Come up with a date and I'll bet many of us Colorado folks will show up that weekend.

Did I tell you about the time I was crossing a river in Crested Butte on my WR400 and completely submarined myself and the ENTIRE motorcycle? :)

• yzman

Posted January 21, 2001 - 09:26 AM

I would be interest in going I have a couple of people I ride with here that I'm sure would beinto it also.

• sleekfreak

Posted January 21, 2001 - 10:21 PM

I got a buddy and his wife who may be intrested. I think they go that direction once a year on other excursions anyway. He rides a DRZ ( good guy take it easy on him; and rides like a bat out of hell) and she rides a Yamaha( and rides like a bat out of hell). Not Yamaha exclusive is it? Just asking.

• Tom_N

Posted January 21, 2001 - 10:28 PM

more and more interested each day.. I will send info on the rooms and the dates next week to everyone who has posted an intrest. I did notice some of you did not have an e-mail id attached to your member profile so I will not be able to send you info.. please send me an e-mail address and I will keep it confidential.

Oh yea, this is not Yamaha exclusive so bring the buddys with the DR... I have my yz set up for MX-ing and my buddy had a KTM 400 4stroker so the trails will be hard on us but fun too..

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.