mobil 1 oil

6 replies to this topic
  • Sandracer_uk

Posted January 11, 2001 - 05:51 AM

can i use mobil 1 motor oil in my yz400 and do i need the mobil 1 specified for bikes?
is there any differance with these oils?
apart from cost

• Hick

Posted January 11, 2001 - 07:01 AM

They have sand in England? Oh right, it IS an island…

Just kidding.

Plenty of people, me included, run Mobil 1 synthetic car oil in our bikes (15-50w). A lot of car-spec motor oils have energy conserving (EC) “friction modifiers” that will cause clutch slippage in a bike. Apparently Mobil 1 15-50w does not.

Here is a link to an article on this subject The Great Oil Debate.

• Sandracer_uk

Posted January 11, 2001 - 08:50 AM

is 15-50w oil ok to use?
and how is it different to 10-40w oil
this probably sounds a bit thick but having jumped off a 2 stroke, its all kinda new to me.
and are you guys actually using automotive mobil 1?

bare in mind , at present in the uk we are running at about zero degrees or below,,does this matter?
gosh its all so confusing, still wouldnt go back to a 2stroke tho ;-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 11, 2001 - 12:10 PM

I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 in my 1996 CBR 900 since break in. It is the best oil I've ever ran in my bike. The 15W-50 is basically the same oil as the motorcycle oil. I work with this really anal Mechanical Engineer and everytime a new oil comes out he gets the data sheets. According to the data sheets the 15W-50 Mobil 1 is the best oil for 4-stroke bike applications.

All I know is it makes my clutch smooth and the bike run super slick. I really like it.

Roostn in Denver

• Sandracer_uk

Posted January 12, 2001 - 06:04 AM

the only stuff i can find here is mobil 1 tri synthetic stuff which is 0w 50
is this the same stuff?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 12, 2001 - 01:53 PM

Do you know if that guy compared the data sheets against only other automotive oils or if he checked it against any oils that we usually find in bike shops too?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 13, 2001 - 01:59 PM

I have a 99400 and used yammylube for a while then one of my friends told me how wonderful mobil 1 was.
I tried it for about 2 or 3 months and probably 4 races of 80miles each and numerous long ride practice sessions. after about 2 races i noticed a wierd clutch "HOP" each and every time i started out on the bike -hot and cold-
both were exactly the same random clutch engagement and choppy. I was milkin it til i had $ for a new clutch cuz' i thought it was surely a goner.
I was talkin to my local dealer parts guy and he said to go back to Yammy and see what it did b4 he ordered the clutch.
I did and changed a little so i did about another 80miler and probly 20 miles practice..........changed the oil again and it was nearly gone but still there....... then i put in another 50-60 miles and changed it again...... I haven't had another prob w/clutch since then. Mobil one in my cars all the time but never again in my BABY....

ride BLUE

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.