Another valve job question!

4 replies to this topic
  • OnTheEdge

Posted April 09, 2010 - 01:17 PM

OK, I've got the parts for my 450 ordered and from everything I'm reading, the seats will have to be milled. My thought was to take it apart and replace all the parts and bring it to my local shop to have the seat milled. My question is: should I assemble everything and bring it to them or should I bring it to them with all the new parts? I've never done a valve job and I want to make it as easy as I can for them to mill the seats.

Thanks for the help!
Duane

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2010 - 02:09 PM

The easiest for them would be to clean it up and take it to them with all of the parts necessary to build the complete head. That's the valves, seals, springs, spring seat washers, retainers, keepers, lifters (labeled as to which bore they go in), your old valve shims, both cams, the caps, half rings, caps and bolts.

The very close second best is to give it to them assembled with both cams in place (not necessarily torqued) and let them take it apart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OnTheEdge

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thanks gray! You ROCK!

• umu24013

Posted April 09, 2010 - 10:30 PM

lifters (labeled as to which bore they go in),

grayracer513, why is it so important not to mix them up?

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2010 - 06:50 AM

They're worn, the bores are worn, the cam lobes are worn and they're all worn to match where they were. If you mix them, you're asking them to wear in all over again. It'd be like mixing the pistons in a 4 cylinder.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.