09 WRF 450 - grey wire

8 replies to this topic
  • eu001939

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:01 AM

I have read all the posts and the FAQ for the WR450 about the famous grey wire.

I bought my bike new last year from a dealer who made the mod's for me. I always assumed the grey wire was also disconnected.

Working on the bike this afternoon I noticed it is in fact still connected.

What would be the effect on the bike if you do all the mod's except the grey wire ?

is it just lack of power at high rev's ? Or would you notice a lack of power at slow rev's as well ? Would the bike stutter ?

Edited by eu001939, April 09, 2010 - 09:54 AM.

• spick

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:59 AM

On my 06 I disconnected it for a season then reconnected it. While there's definitely a bigger hit with it disconnected, I found I was just spinning the wheel a lot more when I didn't necessarily want it to.

So, I guess it depends on your riding style and the type of terrain you're covering. The trails around here can be quite quite technical and rocky, so I prefer a little more control over how fast the rear spins up. So I keep it connected for now.

• William1

Posted April 09, 2010 - 10:07 AM

spick answered most of your Q, though the steady throttle stuttering is more pronounced with the grey disconnected. You would only notice this if your bike is plated and you are riding steady state. I never notice it off road.
I have a switch on mine. Shut the engine off, switch and go.

• CanadianWR450

Posted April 09, 2010 - 04:05 PM

spick answered most of your Q, though the steady throttle stuttering is more pronounced with the grey disconnected. You would only notice this if your bike is plated and you are riding steady state. I never notice it off road.

I'm very interested in this.

- Where did you mount the switch?
- Worse case scenario if the switch was accidentaly activated (or de-activated), while engine is running, and under power?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racinteach

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:26 PM

I like that switch idea as well...

• ASternad

Posted April 10, 2010 - 02:30 AM

- Worse case scenario if the switch was accidentaly activated (or de-activated), while engine is running, and under power?

Nothing - engine needs to be off, then switched on before the cdi will recognize the new mapping.

• MrTVDNR

Posted April 10, 2010 - 07:56 AM

NICE remapping idea...geesh...I would guess to mount the switch back under the seat or in an area that you can get to easy with the least amount of wiring...handy...especially if you do dual sport road AND/OR off road.

+2

• panaman

Posted April 10, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've actually never noticed any throttle stuttering buzzing down the road at 50 mph during some dualsport events and i have my gray wire disconnected.
But maybe my bike is special :thumbsup:
I am sure jetting has something to do with it too..

• racinteach

Posted April 11, 2010 - 07:21 AM

my stuttering only comes on at low speed steady riding..like 30 mph on the street

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.