Tool suggestion

6 replies to this topic
  • Powderhound

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:02 AM

I'm just getting back on a 4 stroke after having ridden ktm 300s for the past few years. I forgot how much more effort is required to access various components of the 4 stroke carb compared to a 2 stroke. I was able to change pilot jets, mains, and even pull the float bowl without twisting the carb on my 09 450 using regular tools but it was kind of a pain. I got to thinking about the tools I have at work (I'm a Mercedes master tech) and remembered my favorite tool for doing interior work. The skew driver.
http://www.spectools.com/spec.htm
You can buy the same sort of tool at Lowes. The one at Lowes is made by Milwaukee tools and does not come with a handle, but a 1/4 inch bit driver works just fine for a handle. I brought home various bits and found pulling the float bowl takes but a minute. I ground down a flat blade bit and use it for pulling pilot jets, attach a socket and the main comes right out.
The way I use it for work is attached to a cordless drill (these things don't like cordless impact drivers) but that seems a bit much for working on the bike.
Now you're going to have to get used to how tight everything gets with this and double check your work for a while to make sure you are getting the proper torque on the fasteners. Once you get a proper feel for it I think this tool could save you quite a bit of time and frustration. Oh and it works fantastic on vehicle interiors too!

• tech24

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:08 AM

Thats a handy device, I have something similar but a little wimpy comared to those things.

Maybe you could help a guy out? I'm working on a '98 slk230 with P0301 and P0304. No miss right now of course, do coils fail on these things? Guess I could always swap it with cyl 2 but I'd prefer to fix it and make some $$$

• Powderhound

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:19 AM

PM sent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:28 AM

Thanks appreciate it!

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:39 AM

Handy tools, those. I've never found a need for one on mine, but I can see it being useful.

Have you seen this thread? By far the most trying aspect of pilot jet changes is getting the new jet started. There's a simple cure:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=556427

• s14 2510s

Posted April 09, 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thats awsome

• Powderhound

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Handy tools, those. I've never found a need for one on mine, but I can see it being useful.

Have you seen this thread? By far the most trying aspect of pilot jet changes is getting the new jet started. There's a simple cure:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=556427

I ground the flat blade bit that I used so that it was just as wide at the pilot jet. I then took my dremel and made a nipple in the middle of the flat that locates the jet side to side. The bit is fat enough that the jet fits snug and lets me use the skew driver with no worries of the jet falling off the bit.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.