98 YZ400 fork damping screws shot

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 10, 2001 - 11:57 AM

Has anybody seen this, my screws were mangled from previous owner and when trying to adjust, one broke off. Yamaha only sells the entire cap for $90.00. I'm trying to find a cheaper solution, possibly drilling out and replacing with my own screws but I'm not sure what they look like on the inside, haven't taken cap off. Not sure procedure for removing caps, manual isn't clear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt406

Posted January 10, 2001 - 05:47 PM

I had a XR 400 and the entire valve body was stripped. Honda sold them one at a time for $89.99, while Race Tech sold a pair for $159.99. Check out Aftermrket ones if you must replce the entire thing. They are usually cheaper and they work better too.
Matt

------------------

• Boit

Posted January 10, 2001 - 06:45 PM

tpavlic: Are you referring to the screws o the fork top caps?...or the ones at the bottom of the legs? What I'm wondering is why the previous owner would try to force those screws beyond their boundaries...if that's the case. This is cause for alarm. I would consult a reputable suspension shop for advice. Jeremy Wilkey of MX-Tech answers such questions for free at Dirtrider.net. Look for his forum there. Hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.