Oil change

4 replies to this topic
  • luvmythumper

Posted January 10, 2001 - 07:46 AM

Thanks to all for the posts. I recently purchased a 2001 YZ426. When I change the oil I have found that all the oil does not drain if I only use the drain plug and filter. After draining the case through the drain plug, if I remove the hose that enters the case from the frame(where the screen is)approximately another 1/2 to 1 liter drain from the bike. Do others experience this?

• Tom_N

Posted January 10, 2001 - 07:53 AM

I am not sure about the 01 426 but my 98 400 has three places to drain the oil from. There is the pan bolt on the bottom of the crankcase, there is a drain bolt that needs to be removed from the oil filter case that is also a drain bolt and my 400 also has a drain bolt on the frame to drain the res.

I did the same thing you did, I just drained the case and kept wondering why I was only getting about a quart of oil out with each oil change. Check the manual for other points that you need to drain the oil. I found it in the small print on my service manual after about three changes and it made all the difference in the world.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted January 10, 2001 - 09:00 AM

The procedure for changing oil for all yzfs including 250F is the same. Bolt in the crankcase, bolt in the frame downtube above the screen plug, and then you get a little more out when you change the filter. It sounds like you aren't draining the frame downtube via its bolt.

• luvmythumper

Posted January 10, 2001 - 09:54 AM

Thanks, that was definitely my problem. I bought my bake out of state and had it shipped directly to me in the crate. The manual and other accessories are not included in the crate. They shipped separately.(I am borrowing a friends spark plug tool, yes I have experienced the fouling problem) They shipped out the package 4 wks ago. The postal service has a tracker out on the mail. Gotta love the U.S. mail. Thanks again.

• Boit

Posted January 10, 2001 - 06:16 PM

I admit, I was getting a mental picture that made me grin like a mule eatin' briars.. :)

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 01-10-2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.