kick is stuck after piston ring change

7 replies to this topic
  • Torger123

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:07 PM

i changed piston rings today, and when i was going to start the engine after i was finished it was very hard to pull the kick down, and then it stoped and got stuck, is the cams wrong? somone have a url that show how the "cam dots" is in the right position ? its a wr 450 2003

• BAHeron

Posted April 08, 2010 - 06:13 AM

It sounds like the rings are not in properly and have caught on one of the ports. The cam marks should be lined up with the Exhaust and Intake, or straight across the top of the motor, when the cam chain is tight and your piston is at top dead center. I think there is an "E" and "I" for exhaust and intake on the cams gears. You may be able to roll the motor backward to "unstick" the piston, but chances are those new rings will be ruined.

• Torger123

Posted April 08, 2010 - 11:16 AM

i had adjusted the cams in wrong position and fixt it today, but when i tryed to start it it was nice comp and every ting, it wouldent start it just shoot some times. and then the kick got stuck after trying kicking 100 times. think im going to put it on fire and buy a KTM... :thumbsup:

• matt4x4

Posted April 08, 2010 - 11:22 AM

4 strokes don't have ports.......
your motor has to be at TDC on the flywheel before you line up anything on the cams, line up the cams as stated above - I to the right E on the left (standing on the left of the bike looking at the cam gears) for both cams, the outside dots need to be level with the machined surface of top of the head, verify this is still correct after installing and activating the chain tensioner.
Just read your post - so you are saying you want ot spend even more money by buying a pumpkin and spending ALL your time fixing, not riding.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted April 08, 2010 - 07:19 PM

i had adjusted the cams in wrong position and fixt it today, but when i tryed to start it it was nice comp and every ting, it wouldent start it just shoot some times. and then the kick got stuck after trying kicking 100 times. think im going to put it on fire and buy a KTM... :lol:

I'm not gonna bite..........really, I'm not gonna bite.........

:thumbsup:

• Torger123

Posted April 09, 2010 - 04:58 AM

hehe, its the thing that holds the cam chain that is broken so the chain is not tight, have ordered a new one today, think that will fix the problem! thnx for all help

• JDLowrance

Posted April 09, 2010 - 05:12 AM

Sounds like you've installed the cams incorrectly and in kicking it over, run the piston into the valves. No way to fix this other than pulling the cams and dong a leakdown on the motor to make sure you haven't bent the valves (which if you kicked hard you've definitley done).

good luck.

John

• wartsnuff

Posted April 09, 2010 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like you've installed the cams incorrectly and in kicking it over, run the piston into the valves. No way to fix this other than pulling the cams and dong a leakdown on the motor to make sure you haven't bent the valves (which if you kicked hard you've definitley done).

good luck.

John

unfortunatly i think i agree with John on this...

if your cams were out of phase... you have bent your valve's more than likley

hope not..

cheers
Warts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.