PC Fan Mod

25 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2010 - 10:52 PM

Maybe I could connect the hoses to the tank and see how many cc's of oil it takes to fill everything up with oil, then add that figure to my stock capacity to get a ballpark oil capacity with the cooler installed?

Should get you close.

Now one other point - since i recirculate my "blown out" oil back into the crankcase with my oil recirculation system, am i actually risking failure of any components if I did have too much oil in the system?

I'm not following you on this one. :thumbsup:

• swatdoc

Posted April 08, 2010 - 11:20 PM

Sorry - on my bike, i have the oil breather line from my valve cover routed to a baffled catch can. Another breather line goes to my air boot (from the WR450F). The bottom of the catch can has a fitting with a line running to one of the inspection caps on my ignition cover. Any oil that is blown out of the valve cover into the oil breather line is returned to my motor,instead of leaking out the tube onto the ground (and right onto my rear tire) like stock. Basically the same setup as a stock Suzuki DRZ400SM, and also what the Graves Supermoto team ran on their race bikes.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2010 - 12:29 AM

No problem I can see. Normally, the thing you risk from running too much oil is loosing a little power and making a mess. In the extreme, you'd throw enough oil on the cylinder walls to overwhelm the rings, and the bike would smoke, foul plugs, and gunk up the backs of the valve heads. I guess if it got really bad, the oil could lead to detonation and then you might actually break something, but otherwise, there's not a big risk.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted April 09, 2010 - 01:37 AM

Ok cool - thanks Gray - appreciate your knowledge and help!

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 09, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Swatdoc, in your case you've really done this more because of the leaking oil blow than the ability to return the oil, or somehow run cooler, right? (for supermotard)
Seems that if the bike is dialed in it can be run pretty damn hard, in sand, in heat, for a whole tank of gas with minimal coolant loss???

• swatdoc

Posted April 11, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Goose I'm also running a coolant catch tank which you can also see in the pic. Any small amount of coolant that would overflow will getsiphoned back in as the motor cools down

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.