Jetting Solved!

10 replies to this topic
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted April 06, 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well no replies but this is what i went with. I ditched the whole entire fmf jet kit in my 03 450. Junk im sure most of you know this but dont ever waste you time with one. I wound up using a 170 main with a 45 pilot, stock needle in 4th position. So far so good. Just took it for a quick run but no bog powered through all 4 gears, guess i will find out better in the trails. :thumbsup:

• ttr250dude

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:16 AM

What jetting came with the fmf kit?

• tek_01

Posted April 07, 2010 - 02:34 AM

Thats very close to what the bike came out with stock. Sometimes its better to leave stock than to try get more power etc like manufacturers claim with their products. I havent heard good reviews wit FMF jet kits but the JD kits get a good wrap

Glad you got it sorted out. Maybe you should do the o-ring mod (or buy stiffer AP spring) and get the AP squirt timing sorted and you should be good to go

• ttr250dude

Posted April 07, 2010 - 05:54 AM

Why spend money on something that isnt setup up exactly for your bike? Jetting can be affected by altitude, temp, and mods. There is no end-all jetting setup that works for every bike.

• WB450

Posted April 07, 2010 - 07:42 AM

Why spend money on something that isnt setup up exactly for your bike? Jetting can be affected by altitude, temp, and mods. There is no end-all jetting setup that works for every bike.

Maybe his jetting wasn't right to begin with so he bought the kit to fix it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted April 07, 2010 - 05:31 PM

I bought the kit because i did the cams and exhaust and the stock setup didnt run right at all. The fmf jet kit just didnt seem to help in anyway with what the give you. Stock main is 165 and stock pilot is 42. So the 170, 45 seems to do allright. I have heard that a 48 would be better because thats what many guys gun the 03 at in my area. Thats just my opinion i would recommend anybody to buy it. ON here i have heard good reviews on the JD kits but i didnt wanna spend the money right away. Just gonna see how this works out. I know that altitude effects all that and air and evrything but when you get a solid bog at one spot you know your jetting isnt right. You cant expect to buy exhaust or bore your engine or anything of that nature and not expect to jet your bike. Thats how you fry motors.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted April 07, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Thats very close to what the bike came out with stock. Sometimes its better to leave stock than to try get more power etc like manufacturers claim with their products. I havent heard good reviews wit FMF jet kits but the JD kits get a good wrap

Glad you got it sorted out. Maybe you should do the o-ring mod (or buy stiffer AP spring) and get the AP squirt timing sorted and you should be good to go

I have a boyensen quickshot 2 on it also. I checked that oring mod out never tried it, but maybe i will give it a shot. Also exactly where would i get a stiffer Accelerator pump spring from? I know that the jet setup is pretty close to stock, i wasnt think about trying the 48 pilot and possibly a higher main just to see how it does.

• tek_01

Posted April 07, 2010 - 06:42 PM

Have a look HERE
I bought the extended fuel screw and pump spring.
You also get instructions how to set your AP squirt timing with the spring (It may also be in the manual, not sure)
I believe if you buy the spring you don't need to do the o-ring mod

• ttr250dude

Posted April 08, 2010 - 02:20 PM

I meant that it'd be better to buy the individual jets that work right for where you ride.

• ttr250dude

Posted April 08, 2010 - 02:21 PM

Sorry if i sounded like an ass in my first post. 9:00am is early for me.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted January 21, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have a boyensen quickshot 2 on it also. I checked that oring mod out never tried it, but maybe i will give it a shot. Also exactly where would i get a stiffer Accelerator pump spring from? I know that the jet setup is pretty close to stock, i wasnt think about trying the 48 pilot and possibly a higher main just to see how it does.

Did you try this yet, any report on outcome ?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.