Reputable Engine Rebuilds

5 replies to this topic
  • Boomer

Posted January 09, 2001 - 12:05 PM

O.K. guys - here's to elicitation of a list of reputable rebuild shops. 2 smokers have P.C. and the likes - so we need something comparable. Let's exclude dealers - no slander intent - just exclusion. We need input for the Eastern/Midwest/Central/Western U.S. regions.

Sad to say, I am between Cincy and Dayton, OH - and I have no idea of whom to go to in this area - I would expect to ship my motor off to the West coast.

.. so let's here it...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 09, 2001 - 06:46 PM

Thumper racing in Marshall Texas, all they work on or deal with is 4 strokes, they are real helpful and they are a small personable business. I have their catalog at work, I will post address and phone # tomorrow.

00'YZ 426
Beaumont Tx

• Boit

Posted January 09, 2001 - 09:37 PM

I have been extremely pleased, other than the costs, with work done by Stroker Four Stroke Speed Equipment in Hesperia, California. The KLX 250/340 engine they built for me in '95 is still running strong. This engine was bored and stroked so this was a major job.

Replika Maschinen in Santa Cruz, California is another interesting high performance shop. I'm considering having them do some top end work on my 2000 426 in a few months. They offer head porting, dry film lubricant coating and a thermal barrier coating. Very interesting stuff. I haven't had any work done by them yet so I can't recommend them.

Falicon Cranks has an outstanding reputation for doing some excellent crankshaft work along with a cam shaft sprocket kit that allows the YZ cams to be degreed. Plus, they offer a connecting rod called "The Knife" that cuts down on the natural resistance that a typical "H" rod has as it rocks back and forth thru the crankcase oil. It's probably not worth the expense with a single cylinder 4-stroke but it's an example of what they offer. In my opinion, one of the greatest benefits we could give our YZ's would be an engine blueprinting and balancing. I say that by also adding that I didn't factor in the costs associated with such a task. I remember the benefits Suzuki realized last year when they balanced Albertyn's crankshaft. Vibration has a way of cancelling potential output of any engine.

OK, I'm done.. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scottzx7rr

Posted January 10, 2001 - 06:20 AM

I am going to have to go with Eric Gorr. He has a local shop that will assemble your engine after he is done working his magic. He will even send you a engine crate for your motor. Send it minus fluids and he will do the rest. Great prices, great workmanship, great guy.

Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

• Boit

Posted January 10, 2001 - 06:26 PM

Yes, Eric Gorr is also a top notch engine builder/tuner. He spends a lot of time at the forum, I'm not sure how long he has also included thumpers in his work, but he is well known and respected 2-stroke guru. Hick is very pleased with his 444cc engine modification.

• Boomer

Posted January 12, 2001 - 02:17 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. I like the idea of have access to someone very reputable, yet independent. Eric Gorr is a perfect example.

As I expected, so far it's

Western states: 5
Eastern states: Big fat goose-egg.

keep listing....

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.