Shoot me...... 2010 YZF450

28 replies to this topic
  • STROKEDIESEL

Posted April 05, 2010 - 07:41 PM

i am sure a local hardware store would have a similar length bolt to get you by for the time being???

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 05, 2010 - 07:49 PM

Phsssssssht....if its any like around here they wont.

• Skotten

Posted April 05, 2010 - 10:26 PM

i am sure a local hardware store would have a similar length bolt to get you by for the time being???

I rather keep it all original, I am sure the bolts are designed to shear in a certain place, so the damage caused by idiots like me is kept to a minimum. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2010 - 07:57 AM

They aren't. Based on the part number, it's an ordinary M6x1.0x70 flange head bolt, same as has been used for years on other machines they've built. The dealer will probably have a bag of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Skotten

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:34 AM

I rather keep it all original, I am sure the bolts are designed to shear in a certain place, so the damage caused by idiots like me is kept to a minimum. :thumbsup:

I knew that, but what I wasnt certain of, is the metal composition used to make the bolt. I didnt want to get a steel bolt capable of killing threads instead of shearing. Maybe they arent as high tech, as I would like to think they are. I called about 30 bike shop/dealers yesterday trying to get a bolt, and all of them had to order the bolt. f......g Sweden for you. I robbed one of my CRF for now, which made me feel guilty, It felt bad enough taking the hand protectors of it to put on the Yzf, But taking one of its vital bits..... sigh..

• Skotten

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:41 AM

Great, you found the parts. :thumbsup:

Info was from right here in Yamaha Japan Web. Yamaha Parts Catalogue

Looks like you can registar and get access to US version here.

Looks like they have taken the parts manual from that site for the 2010 450
But thanks anyway

• pembell

Posted April 07, 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hey, don't feel bad about snapping a bolt with a torque wrench. The first oil change I did on my Honda CBX750F back in the eighties, I used a torque wrench on the oil drain bolt and I managed to crack the alloy pan! Boy was I depressed.

Mind you, my nickname was 'Bodger Bell' when I was an apprentice. My dad confiscated my torque wrench.:thumbsup:

• yz-dwg

Posted April 09, 2010 - 11:49 AM

I use an inch/lbs torque wrench and tighten everything to spec with no problems, if you are using a wrench that goes to 100 ft/lbs for a 9 ft/lbs bolt, it may be too hard to feel the click.....just sayin'

• Skotten

Posted April 11, 2010 - 10:50 AM

it´s a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.