Connecting rod

4 replies to this topic
  • longerirons

Posted April 04, 2010 - 07:07 PM

I know there is no such thing as a dumb question.....but i'm going to give it my best shot here... Can you rebuild the crankshaft assembly?, more specific the connecting rod bearing? Owners manual doesnt cover this one.

• Birdy426

Posted April 04, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yes, crankshafts can be rebuilt. You can order a connecting rod kit either from Yamaha, Hot Rods, or Wiseco (among others). The work requires some special tools, so it's beyond the scope of what you can do in your garage, but most shops can do it. When I rebuilt my 426, it was very nearly a push on cost to just buy a new crank vs the cost of a rod kit and the labor to rebuild, but that might be changing...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2010 - 08:47 PM

The rod doesn't always need replacement, but in your case, it probably does. Yamaha doesn't sell a kit, though, so you need the rod, bearing and crank pin, and like Birdy said, you end up with the same money spent on the rebuild as wit a new crank, and the new crank will be all new, including the cam drive sprocket.

• longerirons

Posted April 05, 2010 - 06:21 AM

why are the yz450f crank assemblies so much cheaper than the 426? Would it really be cheaper to spend 500.00 on a new assembly vs rebuild, thats more than I spent for the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2010 - 07:51 AM

why are the yz450f crank assemblies so much cheaper than the 426? Would it really be cheaper to spend 500.00 on a new assembly vs rebuild, thats more than I spent for the bike.

Price it out. A rebuild may be less on the 426. Parts for the obsolete lines tend to be higher, probably because they are no longer made in regular production.

Also, look into a Hot Rods brand replacement crank.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.