What dissoves exhaust putty?

4 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted April 03, 2010 - 10:37 PM

When I first fitted a FMF 4.1 slip-on to my 08 WR450 I used Permatex Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer to seal the joins, including the join with the header pipe.

After it kept leaking I realised I should have used exhaust selastic due to its better flexibility, which I've used on the join between the slip-on and the mid-pipe.

However, after hammering and flexing and twisting, I can't seem to break the seal between the header and the mid-pipe. It's leaking, but part of it is obviously rock solid, which means I've so far been unable to use the stock muffler on rides in built-up areas.

Any ideas on what would react with this stuff? I'm a bit concerned any more mechanic treatment might break something.

The only ingredient I can find on the tube is Sodium Silicate.

• WR450FGreg

Posted April 04, 2010 - 01:55 PM

I've been in similar situations before and I just work my way through different solvents until I find one that works.

ie. Turps
Metholated spirits
Paint thinners

Good luck!

(BTW, my guess is that acetone will do it.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strattos

Posted April 04, 2010 - 03:32 PM

Acetone? That nailpolish remover?

• TLRam1

Posted April 04, 2010 - 09:58 PM

Acetone? That nailpolish remover?

Yep (says I need 5 characters to reply) it is!

• SXP

Posted April 05, 2010 - 11:29 AM

Heat up the joint with a propane or butane torch while twisting. It should come apart easily.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.