Oil pressure

3 replies to this topic
  • nlan

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi all,

I got a friend's bike for an oil change the other day, a '04 WR450f.

After adding new oil, I loosened the M6 bolt up in the head, started the bike, and waited for oil to start creeping out. But it did not.

I finally removed the bolt completely, and oil started coming out. Does this mean there isn't enough oil pressure? Because I changed oil in another friend's WR250F not too long ago, and with the bolt only slightly loosened, oil came out!

Thanks
Nikos

• nlan

Posted April 03, 2010 - 03:23 AM

So nobody has a clue about this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted April 03, 2010 - 11:55 AM

I haven't loosened that bolt to check for flow, but it is a good idea. I've bought two YZ's for dirt cheap because they had head damage due to lack of oil flow.

The Honda XR engines have a similar external oil line. When I've done oil flow checks on these bikes oil will come out the bolt after loosening it just a couple turns. If you have to remove the bolt to see oil, I would think something is wrong.

• Strattos

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:12 PM

nlan, I reckon this definitely means you haven't got enough oil pressure. I've had two WRs and both would weep very quickly just by slightly loosing the check bolt, so something's a miss.

In terms of a solution - I'm no expert. Could be a block somewhere along the oil routes, could be the filter, could be the oil pump. Not sure how to narrow down exactly what is and isn't getting oil.

Edited by Strattos, April 03, 2010 - 06:33 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.