front fork oil level

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted June 02, 2003 - 10:45 AM

I have done the search and read through all of the relevant posts and I still have two questions about setting the front fork oil level.

1) Filling oil all of the way to the top of the outer tube allows oil to enter the gap between the innner and outer tube. Manual says to pump the outer tube up and down about 200mm. Since this is not the full stroke, do I just leave the remaining oil in the gap? It seems to me that this small amount of oil is not accounted for in the measurement.

2) Filling oil all of the way to the top of the outer tube allows oil to fill up the inside of the damper rod. I have let the oil sit for 30 min after setting the level and the oil that filled the damper rod is still filled to the top. Again what do I do with this amount of oil? It also is unaccounted for in the measurement.

Thanks for the help.

• yz007f

Posted June 02, 2003 - 04:02 PM

The best way to fill the oil in your fork put in small amount at a time. No point filling the fork right up with oil. First time, fill it part ways then move the damper rod. You will see all the oil disappear. Repeat step until then rod is stiff all the way through the stroke. There will be oil sitting at the bottom. At this time put your oil height at whatever you want (ex. 120mm). The oil in the damper rod is accounted for. Then take the outside fork and move it about 100mm. This will help if any oil bubbles are left. Then set the fork down with it closed all the way. Then leave it for 10mins. Recheck our oil height and if it's good then your set.

yz007f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted June 04, 2003 - 12:00 PM

yz007f,

I agree with you 100%. What you describe is the way I originally set my oil level then.... I read the manual :). The manual specifically states in two places to "fill with fork oil up to the top end of the outer tube".

So when you fill the fork oil to the top of the outer tube, oil fills up the center of the damper rod (where the push rod slides into).

Filling the fork oil using these two seperate ways results in differing amounts of oil left in the fork. The oil in the center of the damper rod is unaccounted for when the measurement is taken.

Spud

• Gadsen

Posted June 04, 2003 - 03:50 PM

yz007f,

I agree with you 100%. What you describe is the way I originally set my oil level then.... I read the manual :). The manual specifically states in two places to "fill with fork oil up to the top end of the outer tube".

So when you fill the fork oil to the top of the outer tube, oil fills up the center of the damper rod (where the push rod slides into).

Filling the fork oil using these two seperate ways results in differing amounts of oil left in the fork. The oil in the center of the damper rod is unaccounted for when the measurement is taken.

Spud

I did it the way the book said (as stated earleir) and had no toruble at all, as for oil going over the top of the piston, its not a factor. I did fill be about 1/2" from the top, pumped the piston,. as the level went down, topped it back off, slid the tubbe about 8" up and down, redid the piston, let set for 10 minutes, remove oil till level was about 5 1/4" from the top of the collapsed fork.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.