What flywheel weight should I use?

20 replies to this topic
  • woodracer1162

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I ride an 07 yz450f mainly on trails and wood races. Everyone who has rode my bike or that I have talked to has told me I needed a flywheel weight. What size would be the best for me?

• JandJ07

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:53 PM

I just added a 13oz to my 426. It has been a great improvement. I wouldn't go any lighter than that if you are mainly in the woods, mine still wraps crazy fast. If you ever do want to go to the track the weight is easily removed.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2010 - 07:12 PM

You won't need to remove it. I run a GYT-R Off-Road flywheel (9oz). IMO, the bike just should have been built with it. All upside, no downside.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 31, 2010 - 07:36 PM

You won't need to remove it. I run a GYT-R Off-Road flywheel (9oz). IMO, the bike just should have been built with it. All upside, no downside.

I agree 100%(as usual) with Gray on this subject. I have one on my 08 and it was a huge improvement off the bottom. One of the biggest gains for me personally is how well the bike hooks up now. I am running a rear starcross tire that easily would've done nothing but spin on my old 04(without FWW) and the tire is still getting good drive even when coming out of a corner hard.

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 01, 2010 - 02:52 AM

I ride an 07 yz450f mainly on trails and wood races. Everyone who has rode my bike or that I have talked to has told me I needed a flywheel weight. What size would be the best for me?

"the heavier the better" if you truly spend most of your time in the technical woods. Enduro and Hare Scramble racers will often buy a real heavy weight, then machine down until they find their "sweet spot" in managing rpm's

I have a whopping 15oz in my KX500, and absolutely LOVE it, but it's not a fair comparison (a KX500 vs. a YZ450F)

• YamaLink

Posted April 01, 2010 - 04:19 AM

I've run a few, and based on overall gearing, fitness conditioning and trails each have helped quite a lot. Having said that, the 9 would be my choice for overall riding.

• Gunner354

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:49 AM

Sounds like u need a Rekluse.

• WB450

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:21 AM

That's what I use and love it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like u need a Rekluse.

The auto clutch and a flywheel weight accomplish two different things.

• WB450

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:29 AM

I have both and love the combo.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:10 AM

Yes, I am well aware of that.

• usp4u

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:27 AM

Has anyone tried one of the Hinson Steel overweight clutch baskets yet ? I see they are marketing them as an alternative to the FWW. "Get a stronger clutch basket with the effect of a FWW".

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:59 AM

It would be stronger, but there won't be any noticeable addition to the engine's rotating inertia.

This comes up every time someone suggests that the extra weight of a Rekluse obviates the need to install a flywheel. The steel basket (or Rekluse) is heavier, and it does have the advantage of having a larger diameter than a flywheel does, which increases the effect of its rotating inertia.

However, the clutch rotates at only 38% of crank speed, and speed contributes exponentially to inertia, whereas mass only linearly. Furthermore, the inertial force from the rotating clutch is delivered to the crank through the primary drive gears, which are a 1:2.652 overdrive ratio going that direction, which reduces the force to 38% of whatever it was at the clutch.

There is a little truth to the statement, enough so that it isn't totally bogus, but it might as well be BS.

• buzzfin

Posted April 01, 2010 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone make a flywheel for the '09 450 that is heavier than 9oz? I have the Steahly 9 oz on mine, but I'm thinking I'd be better off with a little bit heavier one. I ride technical off-road / woods.

• joehonee

Posted April 02, 2010 - 09:09 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the weighted steel clutch plates? Moose claims that they add 12oz of flywheel "like" effect.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2010 - 11:16 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the weighted steel clutch plates? Moose claims that they add 12oz of flywheel "like" effect.

See my post above. Sounds like a great way to get you to buy something that costs less to make as if they were "special".

• MtnXC

Posted June 19, 2010 - 11:44 PM

It would be stronger, but there won't be any noticeable addition to the engine's rotating inertia.

This comes up every time someone suggests that the extra weight of a Rekluse obviates the need to install a flywheel. The steel basket (or Rekluse) is heavier, and it does have the advantage of having a larger diameter than a flywheel does, which increases the effect of its rotating inertia.

However, the clutch rotates at only 38% of crank speed, and speed contributes exponentially to inertia, whereas mass only linearly. Furthermore, the inertial force from the rotating clutch is delivered to the crank through the primary drive gears, which are a 1:2.652 overdrive ratio going that direction, which reduces the force to 38% of whatever it was at the clutch.

There is a little truth to the statement, enough so that it isn't totally bogus, but it might as well be BS.

Thanks for taking the time to type that... really, thanks...

So now I am taking from what you are saying that if someone installs a Rekluse where you can't stall.... that you are going to rev higher and the clutch is going to slip more... and when you have full engagement and it's really ripping, delivery and traction would still be smoother with a flywheel weight...

And if you had a flywheel weight + Rekluse it would end up being set differently to avoid a stall, not rev as much or slip as much... delivery would be smoother and traction would be better...

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2010 - 06:54 AM

That's about right. If you use both, you get the advantages of both, in combination, rather than overlapping, so to speak.

• rideawn

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:08 PM

I've had this on my '07 for about a year now. Like Gray says, all ups and no downs.

• MtnXC

Posted October 28, 2010 - 12:14 AM

That's about right. If you use both, you get the advantages of both, in combination, rather than overlapping, so to speak.

grayracer,

As it has turned out, I haven't been able to get anyone to give me time of day on making a flywheel weight or heavier flywheel for my application.

So, do you think it would be worth the coin to go with one of those heavy steel baskets?

I still want to do the Rekluse at some point anyways... just wondering about the heavy baskets like Stealthy and Hinson offer...

Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.