loud sharp ping at high rpms in 00 yz426F

7 replies to this topic
  • longerirons

Posted March 31, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Im hearing something in the motor cant tell from where exactly. Its like something slamming into the side of the case . Its not real pronounced at idle but when the rpms are up you can almost feel it . Its not constant though maybe once every 5 or 6 seconds.....any ideas ??? afraid to start it at this point do not want to damage anything.......worse

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:47 PM

This is the one that the kick start locks up on, right? You'd better get in behind the clutch and have a look before you blow something apart.

• longerirons

Posted April 02, 2010 - 02:14 PM

O.k everything behind the clutch checked out, there was a small chip missing on one of the kick start gear teeth. checked out the valves again, o.k piston and cylinder, o.k I think I am going to have to split the case to check out in there, It doesnt seem to be coming from that low in the bike but I,m out of ideas... I started it up after the clutch and top end inspection and the crackel sound is still there but even louder and more frequent . I'm still up for more suggestions, Gray...you seem to be the authority on thumpers.

• mxmaddman

Posted April 02, 2010 - 06:37 PM

What octane do you run? have you tried running higher octane just to eliminate deto?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted April 03, 2010 - 09:07 AM

This is the one that the kick start locks up on, right?

Also the one prone to have a loose counter-balancer drive gear, when it is loose it does make some noise, but it is more persistent than the post describes.

But that may be worth a look, that gear is on the right side, and on the '00 models is secured w/ a key, whereas on all later models that gear is held on w/ splines (hmmm.....).

edit: wanted to add that when this gear gets loose it can over time cause the main nut on the (right) crank end to come loose (due to the constant to-and-fro play), in my case it ended up eating that tabbed lock washer, and these various pieces did some damage. At any rate I wouldn't rule this out, if there is any play between the counterbalance shaft and the crank then that key (and maybe the gear) is worn (and something bad is guaranteed to eventually happen). That loose connection could conceivably result in some out-of-phase engine noise.

• longerirons

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:22 PM

I have not split the case yet, but I have found that the connecting rod bearing has a large amount of play in it, causing the connecting rod to jam at the bottom of the stroke . could this cause the loud ping, crack, sound I'm hearing, by letting the piston fly up a few mm higher in the stroke because of the bad bearing????

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:34 PM

If the piston has been hitting the head, there will be a cleaned off, bright area on both parts to indicate this. If not, it hasn't been. But it sound like the rod bearing roller cage has broken, which can let the rollers act more like brakes than a bearing. The noise you heard may well have been the piston being slapped against the bore as the rod tried to lock up. You should plan on replacing it, but you dodged a bullet.

• Byrdman

Posted April 03, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Also the one prone to have a loose counter-balancer drive gear, when it is loose it does make some noise, but it is more persistent than the post describes.

But that may be worth a look, that gear is on the right side, and on the '00 models is secured w/ a key, whereas on all later models that gear is held on w/ splines (hmmm.....).

edit: wanted to add that when this gear gets loose it can over time cause the main nut on the (right) crank end to come loose (due to the constant to-and-fro play), in my case it ended up eating that tabbed lock washer, and these various pieces did some damage. At any rate I wouldn't rule this out, if there is any play between the counterbalance shaft and the crank then that key (and maybe the gear) is worn (and something bad is guaranteed to eventually happen). That loose connection could conceivably result in some out-of-phase engine noise.

This happened to my '00 426. It made a bad knocking sound like you descibe. Its real easy to take the right case cover off, bend the washer off the nut and tighten it. Even if its slightly loose, it will cause a commotion. I had to do this twice over a six year period of owning the bike. Very common problem on this year YZ426.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.