Yamaha

YZ250 Rebuilt top end, still no compression

7 replies to this topic
  • derek182

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

I have an 88 YZ250. Just rebuilt the top end and theres no compression. It sounds like the air is escaping somewhere inside the top end. Any help?

• bink98xcab

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

did you put the head gasket or orings back in?

• derek182

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

yea i put all new gaskets on the top end. i took the air filter off and it feels like air is being pushed out instead of being sucked in. Is that normal? I don't think it is but i really dont know

• riverat1540

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

could that happen if he has the piston bacwards?

• T-Rex

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

If you installed the piston backwards you bent all three intake valves = no compression.

• yubamike

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

88 YZ 250 is a two stroke. Sound like you have a bad or broken reed valve.

• riverat1540

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

how do the reeds effect the compression? makes no sense to me. once the piston makes the stroke and blocks the ports up the compression has no where to go besides the head, between the rings and the cylinder or out a port if the piston is backwards

• T-Rex

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Sorry thought it was a 4-stroke, anyway yes reeds can cause problems. Think of your reeds as a intake valve, if it does not close it will not run correctly. With the reed cage in your hand and looking through it from the intake side you should not see any light, if so there is the problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Yamaha

Yfz450 cam mod jetting by Eddie_310

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Yamaha

warrior fresh rebuild, oil leak? by ulmanb

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Raptor 350 by quad2917

• Hot  49 replies
Forums
Photo
Yamaha

2010 Yamaha Raptor90 by jdeguzman01

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Youth ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Yamaha

2008 Raptor 700 mod ideas? by MylesFT332

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.